Deal Alert: Flights to Italy Just Dropped to $334 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Ready to eat all the Italian food your heart desires? Right now you can book flights from major East Coast cities, such as New York (EWR/JFK) and Miami (MIA) to Italy from just $334 round-trip. You can fly to Rome (FCO), Milan (MXP) Florence (FLR), Naples (NAP) and Venice (VCE) from Oct. 2019 through May 2020. The low fares are being offered by Air Canada, Air Italy, Delta, TAP Air Portugal and United. However, if you want to get the most bang from your buck, you’ll want to book TAP Air Portugal and add a free stopover in Lisbon (LIS) or Porto (OPO).
Although the flights are on full-service carriers, most of the discounted fares book into basic economy. This means that you’ll get free meals and drinks as per usual, but typically have to pay to check a bag and select a seat. Fortunately, you can defeat many of basic economy’s negative aspects with your airline elite status or co-branded airline credit card.
To learn how to best optimize your points and miles while in Rome, check out our guide. And to make sure you don’t miss out on what the country has to offer, check out Get Your Guide’s list of best activities in Rome, Milan and the rest of Italy.
Airlines: Air Canada, Air Italy, Delta, TAP Air Portugal, United
Routes: EWR/JFK/LGA/ORD/FLL to FCO/FLR/MXP/NAP/VCE
Cost: $334+ or round-trip in basic economy
Travel Dates: October 2019 to May 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Newark (EWR) to Rome (FCO) for $334 round-trip in United basic economy:
New York (JFK) to Rome (FCO) for $354 round-trip nonstop in Delta basic economy:
New York (JFK) to Florence (FLR) for $388 round-trip in TAP Air Portugal basic economy:
Miami (MIA) to Milan (MXP) for $389 round-trip in Air Italy basic economy:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by PEC Photo / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.