Deal Alert: Flights to Italy Just Dropped to $334 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Ready to eat all the Italian food your heart desires? Right now you can book flights from major East Coast cities, such as New York (EWR/JFK) and Miami (MIA) to Italy from just $334 round-trip. You can fly to Rome (FCO), Milan (MXP) Florence (FLR), Naples (NAP) and Venice (VCE) from Oct. 2019 through May 2020. The low fares are being offered by Air Canada, Air Italy, Delta, TAP Air Portugal and United. However, if you want to get the most bang from your buck, you’ll want to book TAP Air Portugal and add a free stopover in Lisbon (LIS) or Porto (OPO).
Although the flights are on full-service carriers, most of the discounted fares book into basic economy. This means that you’ll get free meals and drinks as per usual, but typically have to pay to check a bag and select a seat. Fortunately, you can defeat many of basic economy’s negative aspects with your airline elite status or co-branded airline credit card.
To learn how to best optimize your points and miles while in Rome, check out our guide. And to make sure you don’t miss out on what the country has to offer, check out Get Your Guide’s list of best activities in Rome, Milan and the rest of Italy.
Airlines: Air Canada, Air Italy, Delta, TAP Air Portugal, United
Routes: EWR/JFK/LGA/ORD/FLL to FCO/FLR/MXP/NAP/VCE
Cost: $334+ or round-trip in basic economy
Travel Dates: October 2019 to May 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Newark (EWR) to Rome (FCO) for $334 round-trip in United basic economy:
New York (JFK) to Rome (FCO) for $354 round-trip nonstop in Delta basic economy:
New York (JFK) to Florence (FLR) for $388 round-trip in TAP Air Portugal basic economy:
Miami (MIA) to Milan (MXP) for $389 round-trip in Air Italy basic economy:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by PEC Photo / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees