Deal Alert: Nonstop Flights to Hong Kong From $438 Round-Trip
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
In my opinion, Hong Kong is a perfect combination of the best of East and West. And if you want to check it out for yourself, you’ve got some excellent cheap nonstop options from west coast gateways of Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). In addition, there are one-stop options from both the US East and West Coast for less than $500 round-trip. Many other cities around the country are available in the mid-$500s.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline, Orbitz or Expedia.
Airline: Air Canada, Hong Kong Airlines, American Airlines, United, Cathay Pacific
Routes: LAX/SFO/ORD/EWR/IAH/SEA/DEN/SAN/LAS/DTW/BOS and likely more to HKG
Cost: $438+ in economy
Travel Dates: February – May and sugust – December
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $438 round-trip nonstop on American:
San Francisco (SFO) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $447 round-trip nonstop on United:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $451 round-trip on United:
Chicago O’Hare (ORD) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $477 round-trip one-stop on United/Air Canada:
Newark (EWR) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $477 round-trip one-stop on Air Canada:
San Francisco (SFO) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $483 round-trip nonstop on Hong Kong Airlines via Expedia:
Seattle (SEA) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $533 round-trip on Air Canada via Expedia:
Houston (IAH) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $573 round-trip on Air Canada via Expedia:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), American Express® Gold Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier, (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Patrick Foto / Getty Images.
This post was updated on February 5 to include more cities and updated prices. Additional reporting completed by Brendan Dorsey.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees