This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
In my opinion, Hong Kong is a perfect combination of the best of East and West. And if you want to check it out for yourself, you’ve got some excellent cheap nonstop options from west coast gateways of Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). In addition, there are one-stop options from both the US East and West Coast for less than $500 round-trip. Many other cities around the country are available in the mid-$500s.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline, Orbitz or Expedia.
Airline: Air Canada, Hong Kong Airlines, American Airlines, United, Cathay Pacific
Routes: LAX/SFO/ORD/EWR/IAH/SEA/DEN/SAN/LAS/DTW/BOS and likely more to HKG
Cost: $438+ in economy
Travel Dates: February – May and sugust – December
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $438 round-trip nonstop on American:
San Francisco (SFO) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $447 round-trip nonstop on United:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $451 round-trip on United:
Chicago O’Hare (ORD) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $477 round-trip one-stop on United/Air Canada:
Newark (EWR) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $477 round-trip one-stop on Air Canada:
San Francisco (SFO) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $483 round-trip nonstop on Hong Kong Airlines via Expedia:
Seattle (SEA) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $533 round-trip on Air Canada via Expedia:
Houston (IAH) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $573 round-trip on Air Canada via Expedia:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), American Express® Gold Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier, (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Patrick Foto / Getty Images.
This post was updated on February 5 to include more cities and updated prices. Additional reporting completed by Brendan Dorsey.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees