Deal alert: Flights to Hawaii starting at $129 one-way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s Hawaii Week at TPG! The Hawaiian Islands have so much to offer travelers, from the sprawling city of Honolulu to quiet black-sand beaches to restaurants serving inventive island cuisine. And it’s possible to pull off a visit to the islands using miles and points. It just takes a little savvy planning and we’ll show you how. Visit TPG’s Hawaii destination hub for links to more stories about getting to the islands, staying on the islands and what to do while you’re there.
Flights to Hawaii can get pricey at times if you’re not using points and miles. However, that isn’t the case today. There are currently a number of flights from the West Coast — including San Diego, San Jose, Los Angeles and Seattle — to various Hawaiian islands starting at just $129 one-way or $258 round-trip.
Every major Hawaiian airport is on sale, including Honolulu (HNL), Maui (OGG), Kauaʻi (LIH), Kona (KOA) and Hilo (ITO). The low fares are being offered by Alaska, American Airlines, Southwest, United and Hawaiian and are available for travel from January through May 2020.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Note that many deals begin in basic economy, so if you have a choice in carrier, you’ll want to book Southwest as it doesn’t offer it. Southwest also lets you check your first two bags for free — perfect if you’re traveling with family or a large group — and doesn’t charge for any changes. If you do end up with a basic economy ticket, remember that you may be able to defeat many of its negative aspects by having airline elite status or a co-branded airline credit card. For instance, if you use a United co-branded card to buy the tickets, you’ll jump from the last boarding group to a much-earlier one and also be able to bring on a carry-on bag and check another bag for free — possibly even two, depending on the card you hold.
Related: Why traveling to Hawaii is worth it
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Then, click through to book directly with the airline or through an online travel agency (OTA) like Priceline or Expedia. With Southwest, you’ll have to search and book directly through the airline website or app.
Keep in mind that there are plenty of things to do while visiting Hawaii besides the obvious relaxing on the beach and going on jungle hikes. Get Your Guide offers an extensive list of the best activities in Hawaii. Just be sure not to make one of these common tourist mistakes.
Airlines: Alaska, American Airlines, Southwest, United, Hawaiian
Routes: OAK/LAX/LAS/PDX/SAN/SEA/SFO/SJC/SMF to OGG/HNL/KOA/LIH/ITO
Cost: $129+ one-way in basic economy
Travel Dates: January — May 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or ) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige® Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here’s an example of what you can book:
San Jose (SJC) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) on Hawaiian for $129 one-way nonstop:
Oakland (OAK) to Lihue (LIH) for $129 one-way nonstop on Hawaiian basic economy:
San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL) for $139 one-way nonstop on Hawaiian basic economy:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Honolulu (HNL) for $147 one-way on United basic economy:
Seattle (SEA) to Lihue (LIH) for $148 one-way on American Airlines basic economy:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Kona (KOA) for $149 one-way nonstop on Hawaiian basic economy:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Hilo (ITO) for $149 one-way nonstop on United basic economy:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out our guide to the best cards for airfare purchases to learn more.
Featured image by Kim Ebert / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees