This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11:00pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
American, JetBlue and United are making it easier for you to escape to the sun this fall with flights to Florida from $106 round-trip. You’ll find the lowest fares to Fort Lauderdale (FLL), but there are some discounted ones to Miami (MIA) as well. You’re best bet is to plug your departure city into Google Flights and search for flights to both airports, then book with the airline directly or with an OTA such as Expedia or Priceline.
If you have a choice in carrier, your top pick would probably be JetBlue because they don’t offer stripped-down basic economy options. Meanwhile, all of American Airlines and United’s discount fares book into basic economy. As a reminder, if you get stuck with a basic economy ticket, you can defeat many of its negative aspects by having airline elite status or a co-branded airline credit card.
Airline: American, JetBlue, United
Routes: BOS/CLT/EWR/LAX/ORD to FLL/MIA
Cost: $106+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September – December 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Newark (EWR) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) for $106 round-trip in September on JetBlue:
Charlotte (CLT) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) for $111 round-trip in October on American:
Boston (BOS) to Miami (MIA) for $128 round-trip in December on United:
Chicago (ORD) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) for $148 round-trip in December on JetBlue:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) for $198 round-trip in November on United:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by John Coletti / Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees