Deal Alert: Flights to Chicago Just Dropped to $48 or 3,200 Points One-Way
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Been thinking about a trip to Windy City? Now’s the perfect time to book. We’re currently seeing flights to Chicago (ORD) from numerous cities across the US, including Los Angeles (LAX), Seattle (SEA), Miami (MIA) and Boston (BOS) from as low as $48 one-way or just 3,220 points if you have a Chase Sapphire Reserve and book through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal. The lowest fares are being offered by American, Alaska, Delta and United and are available for travel between September 2019 and February 2020.
Most of these fares book into basic economy, meaning added fees and more restrictions in return for the attractive price. Fortunately, all of the major carriers, except for United, still allow you to bring a carry on bag with a basic economy ticket. Keep in mind that you can combat some of the negative aspects of basic economy by using your airline elite status or a carrier’s co-branded credit card.
To search for these fares, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline, through an OTA like Priceline or plug those dates into the Ultimate Rewards travel portal.
Airlines: American, Alaska, Delta, United
Routes: BOS/LAX/LGA/JFK/MIA/FLL/PHX/LAS/DFW/IAH/SEA to/from ORD
Cost: $48+ or 3,220+ Ultimate Rewards points one-way in basic economy
Travel Dates: September 2019 to February 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Dallas (DFW) to Chicago (ORD) for $48 or 3,220 points one-way in American basic economy:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Chicago (ORD) for $54 or 3,620 points one-way in American basic economy:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Chicago (ORD) for $56 or 3,753points one-way in United basic economy:
Phoenix (PHX) to Chicago (ORD) for $63 or 4,220 points one-way in American basic economy:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Chicago (ORD) for $64 or 4,286 points one-way in American basic economy:
Boston (BOS) to Chicago (ORD) for $71 or 4,753 points one-way in Delta basic economy:
Seattle (SEA) to Chicago (ORD) for $81 or 5,420 points one-way in Alaska saver economy:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Kevin Young / Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.