This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Puerto Rico is not only open for tourism, but there are many reasons to visit right now. There are tons of hotels you could stay at using points, and since PR is a US territory, Americans don’t even need a passport to enter.
Aguadilla, a town in PR’s northwestern tip, is best known for its top-notch surfing and beaches. And right now, flights from several US cities to Aguadilla are on sale from $155 round-trip, including nonstop options. The discounted fares are being offered by JetBlue and United and are available starting in September 2018. Do note that while the discounted fares we found are for regular economy (opposed to basic economy), that may not always be the case.
There aren’t any tricks to finding these deals. Just head to Google Flights and plug in your desired departure city. After finding the dates that work best for you, book with the airline directly or with an OTA such as Expedia or Priceline.
Airline: JetBlue, United
Routes: BOS/BWI/EWR/FLL to BQN
Cost: $155+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September 2018 – November 2018
Booking Link: Expedia, Priceline or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Aguadilla (BQN) for $155 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Newark (EWR) to Aguadilla (BQN) for $202 round-trip nonstop on United:
Boston (BOS) to Aguadilla (BQN) for $252 round-trip on United:
Baltimore (BWI) to Aguadilla (BQN) for $272 round-trip on JetBlue:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by SeanPavonePhoto / Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards