Deal Alert: Flights From US to China for $319+ Round-Trip
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11 p.m. Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Cheap flights from cities across the United States to Beijing and Shanghai, China, are now available from just $319 round-trip. Flights from Los Angeles to both Beijing and Shanghai are available for $319 round-trip on Hainan throughout the fall and the beginning of next year. Other cities also feature fantastic deals on airfare starting at just $400 round-trip.
While all flights will be booked into economy class, passengers will be able to bring on a personal item and carry-on bag as well as have the option to check a bag with most airlines.
Both Beijing and Shanghai are amazing destinations as well as great cities for finding cheap flights to other destinations in Asia on local low-cost carriers. There are plenty of points hotels in both cities as well including the Shanghai Edition, St. Regis Beijing, W Hotel Beijing, and the St. Regis Shanghai.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airline: Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, China Southern, Hainan
Routes: BWI/JFK/LAS/LAX/ORD/PDX/SAN/SEA/SFO to PEK/PVG
Cost: $319+ round-trip in economy
Dates: select dates in September — November 2019, January — February 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Beijing (PEK) for $319 round-trip on Hainan:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Shanghai (PVG) for $319 round-trip on Hainan:
San Francisco (SFO) to Beijing (PEK) for $400 round-trip on China Southern via CheapOair:
New York City (JFK) to Beijing (PEK) for $420 round-trip on China Southern via CheapOair:
San Diego (SAN) to Beijing (PEK) for $414 round-trip on Hainan:
New York City (JFK) to Shanghai (PVG) for $443 round-trip on Hainan:
Chicago (ORD) to Shanghai (PVG) for $452 round-trip on Hainan, Alaska via Orbitz:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Beijing (PEK) for $459 round-trip on Air Canada:
Washington D.C./Baltimore (BWI) to Beijing (PEK) for $466 round-trip on Air Canada:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured image by chuyu / iStock / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.