Deal Alert: Flights Across the US to Canada From $141 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Distant destinations may be the first thing that comes to mind when considering an international trip, but we often overlook our Canadian neighbor that offers beautiful architecture similar to European cities and plenty of outdoor activities that people cross oceans for. Better yet, you get to skip the major jet lag that accompany trips to places like Europe and Asia.
We’re seeing flights from cities across the US to various Canadian destinations all below $250 round-trip — with some even as low as $141 round-trip. Most of the availability is in the autumn, which could make for some beautiful fall foliage in the north.
If you’re just starting to get into international travel, this could be the perfect introduction country for you. Language barriers shouldn’t be an issue, but you’ll get a taste of French as French and English are both official languages of Canada.
Note that all of these fares are available in each airline’s economy class, which means you will have to pay additional fees for baggage beyond personal items and small carry-ons. Some of the deals are on low-cost carriers like Frontier and Swoop who will charge fees for basic extras, like carry-on bags, so be aware of these when booking your ticket.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin, destination and stopover cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia. To get the absolute best price on some routes, you can search on SkyScanner or Momondo and book through an OTA. Just note that it may be harder to deal with some of the smaller OTA’s customer service if you want to change your flight or if something goes wrong.
Airline: Delta, United, Air Canada, Frontier, West Jet, Swoop
Routes: JFK/LGA/BOS/DCA/BWI/ORD/DTW/PHL/PIT/IND/DEN/STL/BNA/CLT/BOI/MIA/LAX/SFO/SEA/LAS to YWG/YYZ/YYC/YQB/YVR/YEG/YUL
Cost: $141+ round-trip in Economy
Travel Dates: September-December 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Denver (DEN) to Calgary (YYC) for $141 round-trip on Frontier:
New York (JFK) to Toronto (YYZ) for $174 round-trip on Delta:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Edmonton (YEG) for $176 round-trip on Swoop:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Vancouver (YVR) for $198 round-trip on WestJet:
New York (JFK) to Montreal (YUL) for $207 round-trip nonstop on Delta:
Miami (MIA) to Toronto (YYZ) for $223 round-trip on Delta:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by DenisTangneyJr / Getty Images)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees