This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
TPG has long raved about JetBlue Mint, and for good reason. The onboard experience is like no other domestic product and the fares are relatively cheap (compared to the legacy US airlines). Mint fares typically start at $599 one-way, or $1,198 round-trip, but as we’ve seen they’re sometimes offered for even less. If you act quickly, you can snag Mint seats between Boston (BOS) and Barbados (BGI) from $299 one-way. Alternatively, you can book a flight out of Boston (BOS) or New York (JFK) to cities like San Diego (SAN) or San Francisco (SFO) from $398 one-way. Or you can use JetBlue points, starting from as little as 20,900 points + $7 one-way.
The discounted fares are available in either direction and are being offered for a wide range of dates through February 2019. The easiest way to find availability is to search for dates via Google Flights, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with JetBlue. Remember, you’ll want to try to pick a seat in rows 2 or 4 to get your own closed-door suite.
Routes: BOS/JFK to/from BGI/LAS/SAN/SEA/SFO
Cost: $299+ (or 20,900 points + $7) one-way in lie-flat business class
Dates: June 2018 – February 2019
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Boston (BOS) to Barbados (BGI) for $299 one-way nonstop in September:
Boston (BOS) to Barbados (BGI) for 20,900 points + $7 one-way nonstop in September:
Boston (BOS) to San Francisco (SFO) for $398 one-way nonstop in August:
Boston (BOS) to San Diego (SAN) for $398 one-way nonstop in June:
New York (JFK) to Seattle (SEA) for $433 one-way nonstop in November:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees