Deal Alert: East Coast to Tokyo From $566 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Today’s deal sees some decently low prices for East Coast departures to Japan, with availability on Air Canada, ANA, Delta and JAL. Even better, most (if not all) of these flights allow you to check up to two bags free. Flights price out as low as $578 from Pittsburgh (PIT) to Tokyo-Haneda (HND), with other options in the $600s across the country, including departures from Chicago-O’Hare (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), Palm Springs (PSP), Philadelphia (PHL) and Tucson (TUS).
If you’re based on the West Coast and looking to fly to Tokyo-Narita (NRT), you can score a nonstop out of San Diego (SAN) for $635, while connecting flights are available from Las Vegas (LAS), Ontario (ONT) and San Francisco (SFO).
Available dates span from November 2019 through April 2020, excluding both Christmas and New Year’s.
Tokyo is notoriously expensive, but there are definitely still options when it comes to booking accommodations with rewards. Check out this guide to learn how to make your points stretch.
To search for these fares, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline, through an OTA like Priceline or plug those dates into the Ultimate Rewards travel portal. Note that some of these flights may have differing prices with the airline vs. an OTA, and certain cards only provide bonus points or miles when purchasing directly with a carrier.
Airlines: Air Canada, ANA, Delta, JAL
Routes: ORD/LAX/PDP/PHL/PIT/TUS/ABE/LAS/ONT/SAN/SFO to HND/NRT
Cost: $566+ round-trip in economy
Travel Dates: September 2019 to April 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige Card (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Pittsburgh (PIT) to Tokyo (HND) for $566 round-trip on ANA economy booked via Exploretrip:
Chicago (ORD) to Tokyo (HND) for $638 round-trip on Air Canada booked via Vayama (or $672 via Air Canada’s website):
Los Angeles (LAX) to Tokyo (HND) for $694 round-trip nonstop on JAL economy booked via Japan Airlines:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Tokyo (NRT) for $635 round-trip on Air Canada booked via Priceline:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo of JAL economy by Katie Genter / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees