Deal Alert: East Coast to Tokyo From $566 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Today’s deal sees some decently low prices for East Coast departures to Japan, with availability on Air Canada, ANA, Delta and JAL. Even better, most (if not all) of these flights allow you to check up to two bags free. Flights price out as low as $578 from Pittsburgh (PIT) to Tokyo-Haneda (HND), with other options in the $600s across the country, including departures from Chicago-O’Hare (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), Palm Springs (PSP), Philadelphia (PHL) and Tucson (TUS).
If you’re based on the West Coast and looking to fly to Tokyo-Narita (NRT), you can score a nonstop out of San Diego (SAN) for $635, while connecting flights are available from Las Vegas (LAS), Ontario (ONT) and San Francisco (SFO).
Available dates span from November 2019 through April 2020, excluding both Christmas and New Year’s.
Tokyo is notoriously expensive, but there are definitely still options when it comes to booking accommodations with rewards. Check out this guide to learn how to make your points stretch.
To search for these fares, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline, through an OTA like Priceline or plug those dates into the Ultimate Rewards travel portal. Note that some of these flights may have differing prices with the airline vs. an OTA, and certain cards only provide bonus points or miles when purchasing directly with a carrier.
Airlines: Air Canada, ANA, Delta, JAL
Routes: ORD/LAX/PDP/PHL/PIT/TUS/ABE/LAS/ONT/SAN/SFO to HND/NRT
Cost: $566+ round-trip in economy
Travel Dates: September 2019 to April 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige Card (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Pittsburgh (PIT) to Tokyo (HND) for $566 round-trip on ANA economy booked via Exploretrip:
Chicago (ORD) to Tokyo (HND) for $638 round-trip on Air Canada booked via Vayama (or $672 via Air Canada’s website):
Los Angeles (LAX) to Tokyo (HND) for $694 round-trip nonstop on JAL economy booked via Japan Airlines:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Tokyo (NRT) for $635 round-trip on Air Canada booked via Priceline:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo of JAL economy by Katie Genter / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.