This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
It’s time to trade in your donuts and coffee for croissants and espresso under the Eiffel Tower or tea and scones next to Big Ben. We’re seeing deals for nonstop flights from Newark (EWR) and Boston (BOS) to Paris (CDG) and London-Stansted (STN) with fares starting at $274 round-trip on low-cost carrier Primera Air.
These cheap tickets are available from September through December, although you’ll see the most discounted prices earlier in the schedule. Even though Primera is a budget airline that charges for things like seat selection, checked bags and meals — nonstop flights to major European cities for under $300 is quite cheap.
TPG’s JT Genter flew Primera’s inaugural flight back in April — although the airline was then using a wet-leased Boeing 757 from National Airlines. It’s now operating its new Airbus A321neos.
Use Google Flights to search for your preferred departure and destination and then book directly through Primera, so you can choose any add-ons.
Airline: Primera Air
Routes: EWR/BOS to CDG/STN
Cost: $274+ round-trip
Dates: September – December 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The American Express Platinum Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Newark (EWR) to Paris (CDG) nonstop for $274 round-trip on Primera:
Boston (BOS) to Paris (CDG) nonstop for $321 round-trip on Primera:
Newark (EWR) to London (STN) nonstop for $357 round-trip on Primera:
Boston (BOS) to London (STN) nonstop for $364 round-trip on Primera:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards