Deal Alert: Flights From the East Coast to Hawaii During Summer From $411 Round-Trip
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
While flights from the West Coast to Hawaii for under $400 round-trip are fairly common, prices to fly to Hawaii from the East Coast have remained stubbornly high — especially during summer. But today, it seems the fever has broke.
Flights from Orlando to Honolulu in basic economy have dropped as low as $411 round-trip, and there’s a slew of other cities available in the $500s — including Tampa (TPA), Columbus (CMH), New York (LGA), Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Charleston (CHS), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Raleigh/Durham (RDU) and Atlanta (ATL).
The East Coast only has a few nonstop flights to Hawaii, and sadly none of those are on sale right now. But we have limited the search results to one-stop itineraries to keep the travel time low.
Even better, many of the American Airlines flight options book into standard economy — not basic economy. That means that you’ll be able to select your seat in advance, earn full elite-qualifying miles and elites will be eligible for free upgrades.
American Airlines elites will want to route through Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) on these deals, as American Airlines utilizes widebody aircraft with lie-flat business class seats between DFW and Hawaii. Another option would be to fly out of JFK through Los Angeles on AA’s premium-heavy A321T aircraft — which has 20 lie-flat business class seats vs. 72 economy seats, meaning your chances of an upgrade are better.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: United, American Airlines, Alaska, United
Routes: MCO/TPA/CMH/LGA/BOS/BWI/CHS/FLL/RDU/ATL to HNL/KOA/OGG/LIH
Cost: $411+ round-trip
Travel Dates: June-August 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Orlando (MCO) to Honolulu (HNL) for $411 round-trip 1-stop in United basic economy:
Orlando (MCO) to Honolulu (HNL) for $415 round-trip in American Airlines basic economy:
Tampa (TPA) to Kona (KOA) for $504 round-trip 1-stop in American Airlines basic economy:
Columbus (CMH) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $516 round-trip 1-stop in American Airlines basic economy:
New York LaGuardia (LGA) to Kona (KOA) for $519 round-trip 1-stop on American Airlines — routing through DFW both ways:
Boston (BOS) to Kona (KOA) for $519 round-trip 1-stop on American Airlines:
Baltimore (BWI) to Kona (KOA) for $525 round-trip 1-stop on Alaska:
Charleston (CHS) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $529 round-trip 1-stop in United basic economy:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $537 round-trip 1-stop in United basic economy:
Raleigh/Durham (RDU) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $555 round-trip 1-stop in United basic economy:
New York LaGuardia (LGA) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $577 round-trip 1-stop on American Airlines — routing through DFW both ways:
Atlanta (ATL) to Lihue (LIH) for $565 round-trip 1-stop in United basic economy:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or Amextravel.com) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured image by 7maru / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.