This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Cheap flights to Hawaii continue to amaze! American Airlines, Alaska, Hawaiian and United are currently offering flights from tons of cities including Denver (DEN), Newark (EWR), Houston (IAH), Oakland (OAK), Portland (PDX), San Diego (SAN), Seattle (SEA), San Jose (SJC), Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL), Kona (KOA), Lihue (LIH) and Maui (OGG) from $353 round-trip. Most flights are available in the fall and winter months. Although limited, there are scattered dates in September and October 2018 and late January 2019 for discounted fares from Newark to Honolulu and Maui from $365 round-trip.
To book, head to Google Flights and plug in your desired departure city. After finding the dates that work best for you, book with with an OTA such as Expedia or Priceline or directly with the airline.
Airlines: American, Alaska, Hawaiian, United
Routes: DEN/EWR/IAH/LAX/OAK/PDX/SAN/SEA/SFO/SJC to HNL/KOA/LIH/OGG
Cost: $353+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September 2018 – February 2019
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Francisco (SFO) to Kona (KOA) in December for $353 round-trip on Hawaiian:
Houston (IAH) to Honolulu (HNL) in September for $354 round-trip on American:
Oakland (OAK) to Lihue (LIH) in February 2019 for $357 round-trip on Hawaiian:
Seattle (SEA) to Honolulu (HNL) in October for $363 round-trip on Hawaiian:
Newark (EWR) to Maui (OGG) in October for $365 round-trip on United:
Newark (EWR) to Honolulu (HNL) in September for $384 round-trip on American:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Rob DeCamp Photography / Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees