Deal alert: Delta One Suites from 34,000 SkyMiles one-way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Want to fly Delta One Suites but haven’t had the chance? This could be your day.
We’ve already written about the once-daily ATL-LAX flight operating with premium seating, but now fares are showing up at a ridiculously low 34,000 SkyMiles for a one-way journey if you’re willing to connect. Originally discovered on Flyertalk, the deal books in as first class, but a look at the seat map shows you’ll be sitting in the Suites — not a bad place to be!
It’s important to note that these lower fares are showing up on connecting flights only — flights directly from Atlanta (ATL) to Los Angeles (LAX) are still pricing high:
It looks like originating from Raleigh is the cheapest you can get, but it’s worth poking around with different origination airports to price your itinerary.
You’ll want to look for DL283 through the end of 2019, which shows ‘new interior,’ and is operated by the 777-200LR. For 2020, it looks like this flight will be operated as DL2188.
Routes: East Coast to LAX
Cost: 34,000+ miles plus taxes and fees one-way in Delta One
Dates: wide selection of dates into next year
Pay Taxes/Fees With: Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel). Other options include: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline) and American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Raleigh/Durham (RDU) to Los Angeles (LAX) for 34,000 miles + $5.60 one-way:
Charlotte (CLT) to Los Angeles (LAX) for 55,000 miles + $5.60 one way:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases. Although, as the taxes and fees are rather low on these award flights, it’s worth focusing on credit cards that offer trip delay and cancellation insurance and bonus points, such as Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases).
Other options include the The Platinum Card® from American Express which earns 5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel and the American Express® Gold Card which earns 3x points. Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Boosting Your SkyMiles Balance
While you couldn’t earn a welcome bonus in time to boost your balance for this wave of deals, you may consider adding a card now in anticipation of flash sales to come. There are a variety of ways to earn Delta miles, from Delta-operated flights to trips on SkyTeam airlines to various non-travel partners. However, one of the best ways to boost your SkyMiles balance to score a few free trips is by adding one of these cards to your arsenal:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express ($550 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); 75,000-point welcome bonus after you use your new card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 6 months from account opening, though be sure to check the CardMatch Tool to see if you’re targeted for a 100,000-point welcome bonus after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months; offer subject to change at anytime, (you can transfer Membership Rewards points to Delta SkyMiles instantly). Terms Apply.
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express ($595 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); Earn 75,000 points after you spend $15,000 on qualifying purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. Terms Apply.
- Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card ($450 annual fee; $550 if application is received on or after 1/30/2020, See Rates & Fees); Earn 40,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express ($95 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express ($195 annual fee, $250 if application is received on or after 1/30/2020; See Rates & Fees); Earn 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) and 35,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $100 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Amex Business Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Delta Reserve Business Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Gold Delta SkyMiles Card, click here.
Featured image by Glowimages via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.