Deal Alert: Business Class to Europe This Summer from $1299 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
You might be able to save your points for another time thanks to a recent batch of cheap business class fares from the United States to Europe this summer. Numerous cities in the US and Europe are available starting at just $1,299 round-trip. Usually only available outside of peak travel months, these deals are available starting in June with fares extending into September. With warm and sunny weather and numerous events going on throughout the continent’s most popular cities during the summer, these months are the ideal time to visit Europe.
The majority of these fares are available from cities on the East Coast with multiple routes available for less than $1,300 round-trip. However, cities in the Midwest (from $2,200 R/T) and on the West Coast (from $2,250 R/T) are also available for significantly less than usual.
With such cheap cash fares, travelers might be able to use their points elsewhere. Instead of redeeming tens of thousands of miles for premium airfare, consider redeeming points at top hotels like The London EDITION or the Le Méridien Etoile in Paris.
AARP Discount: Many of the sample deals listed in this post are available at a discounted rate through AARP. AARP is not exclusive to individuals over 50 years of age. Anyone over the age of 18 can receive an instant membership for $12 per year. Members can book fares via British Airways at a discounted rate of up to $200. Readers can learn more about the AARP British Airways discount on British Airways’ website.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airline: American Airlines, Aer Lingus British Airways, Delta Air Lines, Virgin Atlantic
Routes: AUS/BOS/DEN/DFW/EWR/JFK/ORD/STL to BRU/BCN/CDG/DUB/INV/LGW/LHR/MAD/NCE/TXL
Cost: $1299+ round-trip in business
Dates: June – September 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Newark (EWR) to Brussels (BRU) for $1,443 round-trip on Aer Lingus via BA w/ AARP Discount:
Newark (EWR) to Brussels (BRU) for $1,643 round-trip on Aer Lingus via BA:
Newark (EWR) to Nice (NCE) for $1,299 round-trip on La Compagnie via Orbitz:
Boston (BOS) to Inverness (INV) for $1,868 round-trip via Virgin Atlantic:
New York (JFK) to Berlin (TXL) for $1,552 round-trip on British Airways w/ AARP Discount ($1,752 w/out discount):
Boston (BOS) to Paris (CDG) for $1,894 round-trip on America via BA w/AARP Discount ($2,094 w/out discount):
Austin (AUS) to Prague (PRG) for $1,544 round-trip with return in Economy on British Airways w/AARP Discount ($1,744 w/out discount):
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured image by golero/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.