Deal alert: Aer Lingus sale to Europe from $385 round-trip, including over holiday dates
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This story is part of a sponsorship paid for by Aer Lingus — one way that TPG continues to provide our readers with free news and advice about travel.
Aer Lingus is offering a fall sale on European destinations from the US, with travel dates spanning from Thanksgiving to St. Patrick’s Day and beyond. Not sure where to go? Perhaps your wallet can decide for you: coach class fares to the Irish airline’s home airport of Dublin begin at just $375 round-trip.
2016 U.S. census data suggests that somewhere between 32 to 35 million Americans are of Irish descent — including Brian Kelly, The Points Guy himself. Fittingly, some of the best Aer Lingus sale fares originate from cities with high numbers of inhabitants from the Irish diaspora:
- from Boston, where approximately 20% of residents have Irish ancestry, flights to Dublin are just $385
- from Philadelphia, where around 14% of the population claims Irish descent, flights cost $385 round-trip to Dublin
- from Chicago, with an 8% Irish heritage population, flights are $475 round-trip to Dublin
For those interested in digging deep into their roots, Aer Lingus also offers ancestry-themed travel packages, designed to help travelers of Irish heritage strengthen their ties with the motherland. And what better way to authentically celebrate St. Patrick’s Day than in the Emerald Isle itself?
But visiting Europe during the winter season isn’t just for the Irish: off-peak times are perfect for avoiding swarms of fellow tourists. Head to London for fireworks on Guy Fawkes Day on November 5, or celebrate Valentine’s Day in Paris.
Airline: Aer Lingus
Routes: BOS/ORD/BDL/LAX/MSP/JFK/PHL/SEA/SFO/IAD to DUB/SNN/CDG/LHR and more
Cost: from $375 round-trip in economy
Dates: book by October 3, 2019 for travel between November 3, 2019 and March 31, 2020 (blackout dates between December 15 and January 17)
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier℠ Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The Dublin-based carrier has made a big push to attract passengers this year, debuting new livery in January, offering free Wi-Fi and a complimentary drink for “smart economy” travelers and adding its first of seven total long-range Airbus A321LR aircraft to the fleet, complete with lie-flat business class seats. And in a move of particular interest to TPG readers, Aer Lingus joined the American Express Membership Rewards transfer family last summer, in August 2018.
Here are some examples of sale fares you can book:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Dublin (DUB) from $385 round-trip in economy:
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.