Deal Alert: $395 from the US to China R/T on Air Canada
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Americans are often deterred from visiting Asia for one major and understandable reason: It’s expensive to get there. While there are quite a few destinations throughout Asia that are quite inexpensive, getting there is another story. Airfare will often put just the thought of a trip to Asia to rest. While ticket prices to major Asian cities don’t get as low as trans-Atlantic deals (like $100 one-way to London) you can still find a fair share of deals for flights to various Asian cities. If you’ve been meaning to hop that other much larger pond to explore China, February might be one of the least expensive times to do so.
Air Canada is currently offering round-trip fares in economy for under $400. Fares are available throughout the United States are range from around $300 to $395 round-trip. All itineraries are reasonable, with just one stop, usually in Toronto or Vancouver. The fares are somewhat difficult to find and limited with fares available throughout February 2019.
Cities that are part of this round-trip airfare deal include Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai (PVG). Both cities offer plenty to do and are a great starting points for exploring China thanks to easy access to other means of transportation. And last, to make sure you don’t miss out on what the country has to offer, check out Get Your Guide’s list of best activities in Beijing and Shanghai.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Cheap-O-Air, Priceline, or Expedia. Note: the total cost will differ from what’s on the Google Flight results page and what’s offered through sites like Cheap-O-Air, Expedia, and Priceline. Check each OTA’s final price to ensure you are booking a deal fare. Also, note that Cheap-O-Air is the most consistent OTA in regards to actually offering the fares seen through search engines like Google Flights and Kayak.
Airlines: Air Canada
Routes: AUS/BNA/IAD/MCI/MCO/MIA/STL/TPA/Various US Cities to PEK/PVG
Cost: $375 to $395 round-trip
Travel Dates: February-March 2019; Typically midweek departure/arrival dates
Book via: Cheap-O-Air, *Some itineraries also bookable via Expedia/Priceline*
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige Card (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
St. Louis, MO (STL) to Beijing (PEK) for $395 round-trip via Cheap-O-Air:
Baltimore (BWI) to Beijing (PEK) for $395 round-trip via Cheap-O-Air:
Austin (AUS) to Beijing (PEK) for $395 round-trip via Cheap-O-Air:
Washington D.C. (DCA) to Shanghai for $388 round-trip via Cheap-O-Air:
Search Results via Kayak Displaying Cheap-O-Air Fares from DCA to PVG:
Google Flights Calendar Showing Miami (MIA) to Shanghai (PVG) Fares:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees