Deal alert: 20% off NE regional Amtrak services
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Premier® Card
This month, TPG is celebrating train travel and coincidently, Amtrak has also been offering some good deals.
If you have plans to travel along the Northeast Regional line this fall, take advantage of Amtrak’s 20% off coach fares sale. While you’re at it, look into booking a hotel or car rental through Amtrak as they’re offering bonus points on bookings made and completed before Oct. 20, 2019. If you spend the minimum of $150 on a booking, you’ll earn 1,000 Guest Rewards points, which gets you a third of the way to a one-way reward trip from Washington D.C. to New York City.
To start your search, head to the Amtrak website and plug in your cities and dates. All discounts are subject to availability, so you may have to play around with dates and times to find the lowest fares.
Routes: Valid only on Northeast Regional service, reserved Keystone service and Pennsylvanian service
Cost: From $14 one-way
Book by: Some routes require a 21-day advance purchase
Travel Dates: Open
Restrictions: Valid for coach seats only, no upgrades permitted. Blackout dates apply: Nov. 26-27, 2019 and Nov. 30-Dec. 2, 2019. Cannot be combined with any other promotions.
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Boston, MA to Providence, RI for $14 one-way:
Baltimore, MD to Washington, D.C. for $15 one-way:
Washington, D.C. to Philadelphia, PA for $39 one-way:
Philadelphia, PA to New York, NY for $44 one-way:
New York, NY to Washington, D.C. for $53 one-way:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on train purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on all travel purchases), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare purchases) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases).
Featured image by Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees