Deal alert: Travel to Costa Rica this fall for as low as $218 round trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starting this fall, you can trade autumn leaves for palm trees with this flight deal to Costa Rica.
Nestled between the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean, this small coastal country offers stunning white sand beaches and incredible plant and animal biodiversity in its long stretches of rainforest. When you visit Costa Rica, you can hike up a volcano, marvel at gigantic waterfalls and say hello to a family of monkeys on the same day.
If you want in on this incredible vacation spot, your travel options just became a lot cheaper. Beginning in September, you can book round-trip flights to San Jose, Costa Rica, starting at just $218, nearly 60% off its normal price tag. (Yes, you read that right.)
Currently, round-trip flights for the summer to San Jose are priced between $400 and $700. However, they drop significantly in fall.
If you dream of unspoiled beaches, cascading waterfalls and crystal-clear waters, this deal is worth checking out.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airlines: American, Delta, Copa, JetBlue.
Routes: JFK/LAX/BOS/IAD/BWI/LGA/LAS/PHL/MCO/ATL and others to SJO.
How to book: Directly through the airline.
Travel dates: September-November 2022 and January-May 2023; exact availability depends on the specific route.
Book by: 1-2 days.
Props to Scott’s Cheap Flights for catching this fantastic deal. Scott’s Cheap Flights sends deals up to 90% off via its Premium membership, which users can try for free for 14 days and then $49 per year. You can also upgrade to the Elite tier for $199 per year and receive all the Premium deals plus premium economy, business-class and first-class alerts.
This deal includes flights from a variety of U.S. cities to Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO), some of which are nonstop, including from:
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL), starting at $218.
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), starting at $244.
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)/Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY), starting at $274.
- Orlando International Airport (MCO), starting at $290.
- Newark International Airport (EWR), starting at $339.
To search this deal, head to Google Flights and enter your origin city and put SJO as your destination. For example, you could book a round-trip, nonstop flight from JFK to SJO in mid-October for $326 on JetBlue.
Unless you can fit all your swimsuits, jungle gear and toiletries in a small stowaway bag, you’ll need to pay extra for baggage since the JetBlue flights are for the carrier’s Blue Basic fare, which only allows travelers to bring one personal item that can fit under the seat in front of them on board. Any full-size carry-on bag brought to the gate will need to be checked for $60.
There are also some great flight deals out of other cities, so be sure to explore options based on your home airport.
Maximize your purchase
Even though these round-trip tickets are cheap, you’ll still want to get the most out of your money.
As always, you’ll want to use a credit card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (which gives you 5 points per dollar spent on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel) or the American Express® Gold Card (which nets you 3 points per dollar spent on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel). You could also use the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (which gives you 2 points per dollar spent on travel). See this TPG post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If Costa Rica is on your bucket list, this fall is the perfect time to cross it off, with flights starting at a little more than $200 from select cities.
This deal offers the perks of a luxurious vacation at a reduced price and provides ease in traveling from major U.S. cities to Central America. If you decide to book one of these golden tickets, act fast.
Featured photo by Matteo Colombo/Getty Images.
Additional reporting by Caroline Tanner.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees