Deal Alert: Flights to Costa Rica From $212 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Costa Rica is nature’s wonderland, and flight prices just dropped as low as $212 round-trip — including nonstop options. We are seeing good deals on flights from Orlando (MCO), Miami (MIA), Denver (DEN), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Houston (IAH), Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), New Orleans (MSY), San Francisco (SFO), New York Kennedy (JFK) and Chicago (ORD) to San Jose (SJO) and Liberia (LIR). There may be other solid fares from unlisted destinations, so it’s worth plugging in your preferred departure city into Google Flights to see if you can find a deal.
This could be a great chance to check out a wonderful points hotel, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (it’s a bit of a trek from San Jose but easier to access if you fly into Liberia). It used to be just 15,000 Hyatt points a night but is now priced at 20,000 points per night after the recent Hyatt Award chart changes.
Flights are in basic economy and prices start at $212 round-trip. Basic economy fares require you to pay extra for seat selection and checked bags (generally $30 each way).
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: JetBlue, American Airlines, Delta, COPA
Routes: MCO/MIA/FLL/IAH/BOS/BWI/MSY/SFO/JFK/ORD/DEN and likely others to SJO/LIR
Cost: $212+ round-trip
Travel Dates: May and August-October
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Orlando (MCO) to San Jose (SJO) for $212 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Miami (MIA) to San Jose (SJO) for $262 round-trip nonstop in American Airlines basic economy ($323 in Main Cabin):
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to San Jose (SJO) for $262 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Houston (IAH) to San Jose (SJO) for $287 round-trip in American Airlines basic economy ($327 in Main Cabin):
Boston (BOS) to San Jose (SJO) for $291 round-trip in Delta basic economy:
Baltimore (BWI) to San Jose (SJO) for $299 round-trip in Delta basic economy:
New Orleans (MSY) to Liberia (LIR) for $300 round-trip on COPA:
San Francisco (SFO) to San Jose (SJO) for $316 round-trip on COPA:
Boston (BOS) to Liberia (LIR) for $346 round-trip in Delta basic economy:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to San Jose (SJO) for $347 round-trip on COPA:
Chicago (ORD) to San Jose (SJO) for $367 round-trip on COPA:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Matteo Colombo via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees