Deal Alert: Flights to Costa Rica From $212 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Costa Rica is nature’s wonderland, and flight prices just dropped as low as $212 round-trip — including nonstop options. We are seeing good deals on flights from Orlando (MCO), Miami (MIA), Denver (DEN), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Houston (IAH), Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), New Orleans (MSY), San Francisco (SFO), New York Kennedy (JFK) and Chicago (ORD) to San Jose (SJO) and Liberia (LIR). There may be other solid fares from unlisted destinations, so it’s worth plugging in your preferred departure city into Google Flights to see if you can find a deal.
This could be a great chance to check out a wonderful points hotel, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo (it’s a bit of a trek from San Jose but easier to access if you fly into Liberia). It used to be just 15,000 Hyatt points a night but is now priced at 20,000 points per night after the recent Hyatt Award chart changes.
Flights are in basic economy and prices start at $212 round-trip. Basic economy fares require you to pay extra for seat selection and checked bags (generally $30 each way).
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: JetBlue, American Airlines, Delta, COPA
Routes: MCO/MIA/FLL/IAH/BOS/BWI/MSY/SFO/JFK/ORD/DEN and likely others to SJO/LIR
Cost: $212+ round-trip
Travel Dates: May and August-October
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Orlando (MCO) to San Jose (SJO) for $212 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Miami (MIA) to San Jose (SJO) for $262 round-trip nonstop in American Airlines basic economy ($323 in Main Cabin):
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to San Jose (SJO) for $262 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Houston (IAH) to San Jose (SJO) for $287 round-trip in American Airlines basic economy ($327 in Main Cabin):
Boston (BOS) to San Jose (SJO) for $291 round-trip in Delta basic economy:
Baltimore (BWI) to San Jose (SJO) for $299 round-trip in Delta basic economy:
New Orleans (MSY) to Liberia (LIR) for $300 round-trip on COPA:
San Francisco (SFO) to San Jose (SJO) for $316 round-trip on COPA:
Boston (BOS) to Liberia (LIR) for $346 round-trip in Delta basic economy:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to San Jose (SJO) for $347 round-trip on COPA:
Chicago (ORD) to San Jose (SJO) for $367 round-trip on COPA:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Matteo Colombo via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.