Colombia deal alert: Fly to Santa Marta and Barranquilla from Miami, NYC and Orlando from $220
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Check out this new fare sale to Colombia. You can score round-trip tickets from Miami, Orlando and New York City to Barranquilla and the country’s oldest city, Santa Marta, for as low as $220. Most of the available flights include layovers, but we even found a few nonstop flights.
Best availability is for travel between September and January. Remember that some basic economy fares don’t include full-size carry-on bags, so check the airline’s policy before booking. It will typically cost you between $50 and $80 round trip to upgrade for more overhead bin space. Checked luggage costs around $30 to $35 each way.
Want more TPG news delivered every morning to your inbox? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Thanks to Scott’s Cheap Flights for first spotting this. Its Premium membership is available for $49 per year. The Elite tier option is available for $199 per year, and it offers access to deals on premium economy, business and first class tickets.
You know what we suggest: Flexibility with travel plans will help you score the best price.
Airlines: American, Avianca, Copa, United
Routes: Miami, New York and Orlando to Santa Marta and Barranquilla, Colombia
How to book: Search Google Flights and book directly through the airline
Travel dates: Best availability from August this year through January 2023
You can book Miami (MIA) to Santa Marta (SMR) for a late August getaway to the northern Colombian coastal city for the bargain basement price of $220 round trip on Copa Airlines. This was far and away the best price we found for this route.
If you live a bit further north up the Florida Turnpike, you can fly out of Orlando (MCO) to Santa Marta in September on Copa for $338 round-trip. We found similar rates for this route in October and November as well.
There are also discounted tickets from New York City (JFK) to Santa Marta as low as $286 round-trip, but availability was more limited. So if you live in the tri-state area, don’t wait too long to book this one. Also, note that there is a lengthy layover each way with this itinerary.
Copa also has good prices on flights to Barranquilla (BAQ), like this early December ticket out of Kennedy Airport for $278 roundtrip.
The prices for NYC to Barranquilla go up once we reach 2023, but American has round-trip fares as low as $321 in January.
Remember we said there were even a few nonstops involved in this sale? Here’s a great price on a nonstop flight from Miami to Barranquilla in January for only $303 on American.
Maximize your purchase
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year); the Citi Prestige® Card for 5 points per dollar on airfare; the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3 points per dollar on air travel; the American Express® Gold Card for 3 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel; or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2 points per dollar on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by Luciano Lejtman/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees