Deal alert: Flights to Canada from $171 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
Flights to our northern neighbor have dropped as low as $171 round-trip. Despite the fact that Canada is just across the border from many U.S. states, it can be pricey to fly there, so this is a deal to take advantage of.
I just recently re-routed a trip from my original destination of Charleston, South Carolina, to Montréal, Quebec, instead due to Hurricane Dorian, and was pleasantly surprised. While the two cities couldn’t be more different from each other, I was happy with our last-minute change and surprised I hadn’t heard more people gushing about the city. After all, Montréal is probably the closest you can get to France in North America without actually going to France, so it feels like a European getaway.
Note that you will have to pay additional fees for any checked baggage on most of the carriers, but many will allow you a carry-on.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: WestJet, Alaska, American, United, Delta, Porter
Routes: LGA/LAX/SEA/MIA/CMH/MDW/PHX/IND/DEN/DTW to YUL/YYZ/YVR/YOW/YTZ/YYC
Cost: $171 round-trip in basic economy
Travel Dates: October 2019 – April 2020 depending on route
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or ) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (LGA) to Toronto (YYZ) for $171 round-trip on WestJet:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Vancouver (YVR) for $188 round-trip on WestJet:
Seattle (SEA) to Vancouver (YVR) for $190 round-trip on Alaska:
Miami (MIA) to Toronto Pearson (YYZ) for $200 round-trip on American:
New York (LGA) to Montréal (YUL) for $207 round-trip on American:
Columbus (CMH) to Ottawa (YOW) for $212 round-trip when booked separately on American and United:
Chicago (MDW) to Toronto Billy Bishop City Airport (YTZ) for $216 round-trip on Porter Airlines:
Phoenix (PHX) to Vancouver (YVR) for $218 round-trip when booked separately United:
Indianapolis (IND) to Ottawa (YOW) for $238 round-trip on Delta:
Denver (DEN) to Calgary (YYC) for $239 round-trip when booked separately on WestJet:
Detroit (DTW) to Calgary (YYC) for $240 round-trip on United:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
(Featured photo by joe daniel price/Getty Images)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees