This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We have seen a number of solid SkyMiles deals from Delta — including ongoing deals to the Caribbean from 12,000 miles round-trip, Europe from 20,000 miles round-trip and Japan from 62,000 miles round-trip. And today, we are seeing new routes to China from 40,000 miles round-trip and Brazil from 54,000 miles round-trip. A full round-up of currently available SkyMiles deals can be found on Delta’s website here and here.
Although Delta is experimenting with basic economy awards, all of these examples book into the Main Cabin fare class. So you’ll be able to check up to a 50 pound bag each way and select your seat for free for the flight over to China or Brazil.
If you’re short on miles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your SkyMiles account at 1:1 ratio.
Routes: US Cities to China (PVG/PEK/SHA) or Brazil (GIG)
Cost: 40,000+ miles plus taxes and fees round-trip in economy
Dates: September-November 2019
Pay Taxes/Fees With: Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel). Other options include: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline) and American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Seattle (SEA) to Beijing (PEK) for 40,000 miles + $35 round-trip nonstop:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Beijing (PEK) for 40,000 miles + $41 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Shanghai (PVG) for 40,000 miles + $41 round-trip:
New York LaGuardia (LGA) to Shanghai (PVG) for 50,000 miles + $41 round-trip:
Boston (BOS) to Beijing (PEK) for 50,000 miles + $41 round-trip:
New York LaGuardia (LGA) to Beijing (PEK) for 50,000 miles + $41 round-trip:
Boston (BOS) to Shanghai (PVG) for 50,000 miles + $41 round-trip:
Boston (BOS) to Rio de Janeiro (GIG) for 54,000 miles + $60 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Rio de Janeiro (GIG) for 54,000 miles + $60 round-trip:
New York LaGuardia (LGA) to Rio de Janeiro (GIG) for 54,000 miles + $60 round-trip:
Atlanta (ATL) to Rio de Janeiro (GIG) for 55,000 miles + $55 round-trip nonstop:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases. Although, as the taxes and fees are rather low on these award flights, it’s worth focusing on credit cards that offer trip delay and cancellation insurance and bonus points, such as Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, Citi Premier Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases).
Other options include the The Platinum Card® from American Express which earns 5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel and the American Express® Gold Card which earns 3x points. Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Boosting Your SkyMiles Balance
While you couldn’t earn a welcome bonus in time to boost your balance for this wave of deals, you may consider adding a card now in anticipation of flash sales to come. There are a variety of ways to earn Delta miles, from Delta-operated flights to trips on SkyTeam airlines to various non-travel partners. However, one of the best ways to boost your SkyMiles balance to score a few free trips is by adding one of these cards to your arsenal:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express ($550 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); 60,000-point welcome bonus after you use your new card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months, though be sure to check the CardMatch Tool to see if you’re targeted for a 100,000-point welcome bonus after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months; offer subject to change at anytime, (you can transfer Membership Rewards points to Delta SkyMiles instantly) Terms Apply
- The Business Platinum® Card from American Express ($595 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); Earn up to 100,000 points; 50,000 points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Terms Apply
- Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card ($450 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); 40,000-mile welcome bonus plus 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in your first 3 months. Terms Apply
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express ($95 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); Earn 30,000 Bonus Miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply
Featured image by Agustin Diaz via Unsplash
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Amex Business Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Delta Reserve Business Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Gold Delta SkyMiles Card, click here.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees