Deal alert: Use your Amex card to get up to 6 rewards points on Amazon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hot off the press today is a deal for American Express Cardholders, who can get up to 6 Membership Rewards points or up to 2,500 bonus points for Amazon purchases made today through Dec. 26.
That’s 1 point per dollar for using your Amex card as usual and then an additional 5 points per dollar if you’re targeted for this Amex Offer. Check your account for this offer and don’t forget to add it to your card before you make a purchase at Amazon.
We’ve seen the offer on The Platinum® Card from American Express as well as the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express but check your account to see if it’s offered on any other Amex card that’s in your wallet.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Be sure to pay for your Amazon purchases with whichever Amex credit card you used to enroll in this offer.
Overall, American Express cardholders can reap the benefits of this deal to get 5 bonus Membership Rewards points for redemption on travel, gift cards and merchandise, for a total of 6 Membership Rewards points (the normal 1 point per dollar plus 5 additional points with the offer).
Learn more about Amex Offers with these stories:
- Your ultimate guide to saving money with Amex Offers
- The secret to getting more (and sometimes better) Amex Offers on your card
- TPG reader credit card question: How many Amex Offers can you have at once?
Why using your Amex card makes sense
When it comes to Amazon purchases, you may be asking why you wouldn’t just use your Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card instead of going through this Amex Offer. Amazon’s credit card offers 5% cash back on Amazon.com purchases and at Amazon-owned Whole Foods.
The information for the Amazon Prime Rewards Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Because TPG currently values American Express Membership Rewards at 2 cents apiece, which exceeds the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card at 1 cent apiece. Using your targeted Amex card, in this case, would yield 6 Amex points per dollar versus the 5% cash back with the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card.
Avoid potential holiday shipping delays
Another reason to take advantage of this deal is to get ahead of any potential holiday shipping delays. The holidays are fast approaching and we’ve already seen reports of expected shipping delays from USPS, which could lead to long shipping times when you also consider the ongoing labor and product shortage. This means today’s deal is an opportune time to get ahead of any potential shipping delays to ensure your saught after holiday presents can be successfully ordered and arrive in time.
Featured image of Amazon distribution center in Germany on Oct. 13 by Jens Büttner/picture alliance via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees