Deal alert: Fly to Costa Rica for as low as $184 nonstop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While the holidays are the time of year when most people plan their vacations, savvy travelers and those people lucky enough to have flexible schedules know that taking off in January is a great way to kick off the new year. And you’ll be hard-pressed to find a more perfect place to kick off 2022 than in Costa Rica.
There are some deeply-discounted deals to be had right now on flights to the Central American country, which happens to be one of the most incredible places for vacationers. A big reason for its popularity is the abundance of activities that await you. From beautiful beaches and fishing to lush rainforests that let you indulge your inner adventurer. Costa Rica truly has something for any kind of traveler, so take advantage of this sale.
Want your TPG news delivered straight to your inbox each morning? Sign up for our daily newsletter
We got the heads up about this great deal from our friends Scott’s Cheap Flights, who first sent it out to their premium subscribers.
Non-members can find sale prices by using Google Flights to search for desired routes and dates.
Airlines: American, Avianca, Copa, Delta, JetBlue
Routes: CLT/FLL/IAH/JFK/LAX/MIA/MCO/BWI/SFO and other cities to San Jose (SJO) and Liberia (LIR)
Cost: From $184 round-trip
Dates: Limited availability January-February 2022, with some tickets in Fall 2022
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year); the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare; the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel); Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel); the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel — which you could redeem for as little as 13,000 points.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
We found nonstop flights from New York City (JFK) to San Jose (SJO) priced as low as $171 late January-early February. This one is for an Economy ticket from Avianca, which is a Star Alliance member.
Avianca also had some sharply-reduced fares out of Miami (MIA) to San Jose. To get the best prices, you may have to get creative. We found a $187 nonstop February itinerary with a departure flight on Avianca, and the return flight on American.
The prices on flights leaving from Miami were changing often, sometimes while I was doing the search! That gives you an idea of how quickly the best offers are being snapped up.
We found a round-trip from Houston (IAH) to San Jose for just $212. Normally this route would cost around $550.
American had $300 fares from Milwaukee (MKE) to San Jose for an end-of-January trip. The catch is that it has two stops each way. But still, that price is 60% cheaper than usual.
If that kind of itinerary doesn’t work for you and you can wait a while longer to go to Costa Rica, American has some fares out of Milwaukee for just $281 for travel in September.
You can take off from Baltimore (BWI) to San Jose in January for $269 on American, almost half off what that fare usually costs.
One of the best bargains we came across was an American Economy ticket from Charlotte (CLT) to Liberia (LIR), a city about 134 miles from the capital, San Jose. Known as “La Ciudad Blanca” (the white city) for the gravel used for the city’s roads, Liberia is a great place to visit if you’re into outdoor sports activities, due to it being a gateway for the Guanacaste region and its national parks.
The fare we came across in January was less than $300 for a ticket that usually costs nearly $900! If you need to check a bag, it will cost you $60. Well worth it with a ticket this discounted.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, like The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year); the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare; the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel); Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel); the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel — which you could redeem for as little as 13,000 points.
As we said above, Costa Rica has something for all travelers. Get yourself a ticket, pack your bags and go experience it for yourself.
Featured image by Matteo Colombo for Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees