Best low-cost card for Southwest loyalists
In the small fleet of Southwest personal credit cards, the Rapid Rewards Plus card is a great option for Southwest loyalists who want to avoid high annual fees. (Partner offer)
At a glance
- 2X Earn 2X points on Southwest® purchases.
- 2X Earn 2 points per $1 spent on Southwest® purchases.
- 2X Earn 2X points on internet, cable, and phone services; select streaming.
- 1X Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
It’s rare to come across a card with a low $69 annual fee and a solid sign-up bonus, but that’s exactly what you’ll find if you sign up for the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus card. This card is great for those just beginning to explore loyalty to Southwest. It carries standard benefits such as secondary car rental insurance, travel accident insurance, baggage insurance, purchase protection and up to $3000 in lost luggage reimbursement. When it comes to earning points, cardholders can expect 2x points on Southwest purchases and 1x points on all other purchases.
- Earn 3,000 points each year after your cardmember anniversary
- Secondary car rental insurance and collision damage waiver
- Baggage delay insurance; up to $3,000 in reimbursement for lost luggage; roadside dispatch; travel accident insurance via Visa Signature
- Extended warranty and purchase protection
- 2x points for Southwest purchases and its Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partners, and 1x everywhere else
- 3% foreign transaction fee; flight redemption limited to U.S., Caribbean and Central American destinations
- $69 annual fee
Who is this card good for?
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus card is a good option for the occasional Southwest traveler. This card is not going to earn you some of the more premium perks that come with other Southwest cards but it’s a great option if you’re exploring the airline and its partners more without having to pay a hefty annual fee. Points earned on this card never expire so you have time to use them.
Cardholders of the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus card can earn 2x point on Southwest purchases and purchases at any of the Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partners. It also earns 1x points on all other purchases. Cardholders also earn 3000 bonus points each year after your cardmember anniversary.
Frequently asked questions
What other cards is the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus card comparable to?
The other Southwest personal cards: Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card and Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card do come with other benefits not associated with the Rapid Rewards Plus card. Some of these are inflight discounts and a higher number of anniversary bonus points — but they also come with higher annual fees.
Are there any fees associated with the Rapid Rewards Plus card?
This card carries a low annual fee of $69 dollars, much less than other Southwest personal cards. If you’re interested in this card you should be aware that there is a 3% foreign transaction fee.