Best all-around travel rewards card
Year after year, the Chase Sapphire Preferred wins at the TPG Awards for Best Travel Rewards Card. In exchange for a $95 annual fee, you’ll gain access to the incredible Ultimate Rewards program — unleashing tons of potential value for award travel. (Partner offer)
At a glance
- 5x 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 3x 3x on dining.
- 2x 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
We love the Chase Sapphire Preferred because it’s a great introduction into the world of travel rewards. The card recently revamped its earning rates so cardholders can accrue rewards even faster. Point are worth 1.25 cents apiece when redeemed for travel through Chase, but can also be transferred to 11 airline and three hotel partners for even more choices, including those first-class flights and fancy suites you’ve been dreaming of.
- Earn multiple points per dollar on things like travel and dining
- The current welcome bonus on this card is quite generous. TPG values it at $1,200.
- Premium travel protection benefits including trip cancellation insurance, primary car rental insurance and lost luggage insurance
- The card comes with a $95 annual fee
Who is this card good for?
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is best for award travel beginners who want an introduction into the world of points and miles. The Ultimate Rewards program is a favorite across the board thanks to just how many ways there are to redeem points, including for travel, statement credits, and by transferring to airline and hotel partners.
The card recently revamped its earning rates. Now, you can rack up 5 points per dollar on travel booked through the Ultimate Rewards portal, 3 points per dollar on dining and select streaming services, 3 points per dollar on online grocery purchases (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs), 2 points per dollar on other travel purchases, and 1 point per dollar on all other eligible purchases.