Best luxury travel rewards card
The Amex Platinum card is not just a symbol of luxury. It comes with an immense number of travel, entertainment, wellness and retail benefits making it a versatile card option that boasts more than $1,400 in potential value. (Partner offer)
At a glance
- 5X Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Earn 80,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
Why We Chose It
Sometimes it’s worth a large investment to reap the benefits of a great credit card. That’s exactly the case with the Amex Platinum card. In exchange for the annual fee, you’ll unlock access to the Amex Membership Rewards program that let you access airline and hotel transfer partners, along with new lifestyle and travel credits. This card is also incredibly rewarding for travel purchases, helping you rack up a ton of Membership Rewards points for your next award trip.
- The current welcome offer on this card is quite lucrative. TPG values it at $1,600.
- This card comes with a long list of benefits, including access to Centurion Lounges, complimentary elite status with Hilton and Marriott, at least $500 in assorted annual statement credits and so much more. (Enrollment required for select benefits.)
- The Amex Platinum comes with access to a premium concierge service that can help you with everything from booking hard-to-get reservations to finding destination guides to help you plan out your next getaway.
- The high annual fee is only worth it if you’re taking full advantage of the card’s benefits. Seldom travelers may not get enough value to warrant the cost.
- Outside of the current welcome bonus, you’re only earning higher rewards on specific airfare and hotel purchases, so it’s not a great card for other spending categories.
- The annual airline fee statement credit can be complicated to take advantage of compared to the broader travel credits offered by competing premium cards.
Who is this card good for?
If you dedicate a large chunk of your budget to travel and don’t settle for anything less than luxury, this is the right card for you. You’ll receive $15 in Uber Cash monthly (and $20 in December) for a total of up to $200 annually, redeemable for Uber rides or Uber Eats orders. Additionally, enjoy access to thousands of airport lounges with the American Express Global Lounge Collection, an application reimbursement for Global Entry or TSA Precheck, access to the Platinum Travel Service for trip planning assistance, complimentary Gold status with Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors and so much more. (Enrollment required for select benefits.) Once you add up all these perks, you’ll quickly find that these benefits can outweigh the annual fee for those who are constantly on the go.
This card is the most rewarding for travel, with 5x on flights booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases each calendar year) and 5x on hotels booked through Amex Travel.