BEST FOR DINING AND GROCERY REWARDS
No other card can match the Amex Gold’s powerful rewards rate, earning higher bonus points on restaurants, U.S. supermarkets and travel.
At a glance
- 4X Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points on Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery.
- 4X Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- 3X Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
Why We Chose It
There’s a lot to love about the Amex Gold card. It’s been a fan favorite during the pandemic because of its fantastic rewards rate on restaurants (that includes takeout and delivery in the U.S.!) and U.S. supermarkets. If you’re hitting the skies soon, you’ll also earn bonus points on travel. Paired with up to $120 in Uber Cash (for U.S. Uber rides or Uber Eats orders) and up to $120 in annual dining statement credits at eligible partners, there’s no reason that the foodie shouldn’t add this card to their wallet. Enrollment required.
- 4x on dining at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets (on the first $25,000 in purchases per calendar year; then 1x).
- 3x on flights booked directly with the airline or with Amex Travel.
- Welcome bonus of 60,000 points after spending $4,000 in the first six months.
- Weak on travel outside of flights and everyday spending bonus categories.
- Not as useful for those living outside the U.S.
- Some may have trouble using Uber/food credits.
- Few travel perks and protections.
Who is this card good for?
Whether you’re an aspiring home chef or prefer to visit new restaurants weekly, the Amex Gold is the king of dining rewards. Basically, anyone who spends a large chunk of their budget on food will watch the points stack up with this card and you’ll also be rewarded with up to $240 in annual statement credits.
You’ll earn all your points through the Amex Membership Rewards program. Earn 4x on dining at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets (on the first $25,000 in purchases per calendar year; then 1x); 3x on flights booked directly with the airline or with Amex Travel; 1x on other purchases.
Frequently asked questions
Is the American Express Gold Card worth it?
At first, you may be turned away at the annual fee — for an “everyday” card, this may not seem affordable. But take a closer look, and you’ll truly see how valuable this credit card is. Take advantage of the up to $240 in annual statement credits (that revolve around food) and the 4x earnings rate, and you’ve got a fantastic card for most individuals and families.
How long does it take to get the American Express Gold Card?
You should receive your new card in seven to 10 days. You’ll find your new card in a white envelope that has the American Express logo with an Omaha, Neb., return address.