Choosing the right credit card is a tricky proposition. There’s no shortage of alternatives out there, with many companies offering dozens of options from which you can choose. Here, we focus on one such issuer to answer a simple question: How do you choose the best Citibank card for your wallet?
Click a category below to see which card from Citi we recommend.
Citi has dramatically improved the ThankYou Rewards program in recent years as well as the cards that earn those points, including the Citi Premier Card. To compete with American Express Membership Rewards and Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi has struck agreements many new airline transfer partners like Avianca LifeMiles. It has also offered periodic transfer bonuses to several of those partners.
The Citi Rewards+ Card is great if you make lots of small purchases because each purchase will be rounded up to the nearest 10 points. So, even a 50-cent pack of gum will earn 10 points. And, if you already have the Citi Prestige Card or Citi Premier Card, the points earned by the Rewards+ will be even more valuable since you can move them to your full-fledged ThankYou points account and then transfer them to partners.
If you want AA lounge access, look no further than the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®. Aside from lounge access the primary cardholder will receive a Global Entry application fee credit every 5 years ($100 value), first checked bag free for up to 8 travel companions on domestic itineraries and a 25% discount on eligible in-flight purchases on American Airlines flights.
The Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard is a great credit card to own based on the increased sign up point bonus as well as some useful travel perks. You will earn more points the more you travel. The annual fee of $99 (waived for the first year) puts this card as one of the more reasonable for annual fees. These perks and price make this a great card to have in your travel arsenal. The card details for this card have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
One of the simplest and most rewarding cash-back cards is the Citi Double Cash Card. This card gives you two opportunities to earn cash back: 1% when you buy and then another 1% as you pay for a total of 2% cash back. You only need to make the minimum payment each month to earn the second reward, but we strongly recommend always paying your balance in full.
Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to be a frequent American Airlines flyer to find value with the CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard. The card definitely offers some nice perks for American customers, but the airline’s participation in the Oneworld alliance makes it a good choice even if American isn’t your first choice of airline.
Want to learn more about traveling comfortably for little to no cost? The Points Guy has everything you need to know on how to accumulate extra airline and hotel points and miles without being a road warrior, and how to earn perks to travel in style for free.
The credit card offers that appear on the website are from credit card companies from which ThePointsGuy.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). This site does not include all credit card companies or all available credit card offers. Please view our advertising policy page for more information.
Editorial Note: Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.