Start Preparing Now: Another Winter Storm Expected to Hit the East Coast This Week
Yes, you read that headline right. The Northeast and mid-Atlantic regions are bracing for the fourth winter storm in just more than three weeks. This time, the storm is expected to hit just in time for the first day of spring.
This storm is expected to have the greatest impact on the mid-Atlantic region and potentially into the New York City area. Forecasters are predicting both rain and wet, heavy snow, as well as strong winds across the region — much like the same impact the previous three storms have had.
At this point, the exact location of the storm and the predicted impact are too hard to tell. There is a chance that the storm could miss Boston and other New England cities altogether if it remains off the East Coast. The brunt of the storm is expected to make landfall between Tuesday night and Wednesday night.
As of 1:30pm ET, only JetBlue has issued a travel waiver for this storm. You can find details of the waiver below:
- Travel dates: March 20-21
- Airports covered: Baltimore, MD (BWI); Pittsburgh, PA (PIT); Washington, DC (DCA); Washington, DC (IAD)
- Must have bought your ticket by March 19
- Rebook travel anytime through March 19-22
- To rebook travel or request a refund online, click here. If you are already checked in for your flight, call JetBlue at 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583) for assistance with rebooking or a credit.
Given the impact — between the snow, rain and wind — it’s entirely possible that other airlines could issue waivers within the next 24 hours. If you have travel planned throughout the mid-Atlantic or Northeast and have flexible plans, it could be worth holding out on changing them until — and if — airlines do indeed issue weather waivers.
This late winter season has been far from easy on the Northeast and mid-Atlantic and for those traveling to, from or through the region. In the beginning of March, a bomb cyclone prompted more than 2,300 cancellations throughout airports in the region. Less than one week later, another nor’easter hit the area causing more headaches for flyers. And, most recently, a winter storm dropped heavy snow throughout the Northeast — the third in just two weeks.
Featured image by Scott Eisen / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees