Start Preparing Now: Another Winter Storm Expected to Hit the East Coast This Week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Yes, you read that headline right. The Northeast and mid-Atlantic regions are bracing for the fourth winter storm in just more than three weeks. This time, the storm is expected to hit just in time for the first day of spring.
This storm is expected to have the greatest impact on the mid-Atlantic region and potentially into the New York City area. Forecasters are predicting both rain and wet, heavy snow, as well as strong winds across the region — much like the same impact the previous three storms have had.
At this point, the exact location of the storm and the predicted impact are too hard to tell. There is a chance that the storm could miss Boston and other New England cities altogether if it remains off the East Coast. The brunt of the storm is expected to make landfall between Tuesday night and Wednesday night.
As of 1:30pm ET, only JetBlue has issued a travel waiver for this storm. You can find details of the waiver below:
- Travel dates: March 20-21
- Airports covered: Baltimore, MD (BWI); Pittsburgh, PA (PIT); Washington, DC (DCA); Washington, DC (IAD)
- Must have bought your ticket by March 19
- Rebook travel anytime through March 19-22
- To rebook travel or request a refund online, click here. If you are already checked in for your flight, call JetBlue at 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583) for assistance with rebooking or a credit.
Given the impact — between the snow, rain and wind — it’s entirely possible that other airlines could issue waivers within the next 24 hours. If you have travel planned throughout the mid-Atlantic or Northeast and have flexible plans, it could be worth holding out on changing them until — and if — airlines do indeed issue weather waivers.
This late winter season has been far from easy on the Northeast and mid-Atlantic and for those traveling to, from or through the region. In the beginning of March, a bomb cyclone prompted more than 2,300 cancellations throughout airports in the region. Less than one week later, another nor’easter hit the area causing more headaches for flyers. And, most recently, a winter storm dropped heavy snow throughout the Northeast — the third in just two weeks.
Featured image by Scott Eisen / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.