Video Ads Are Coming to Some Uber and Lyft Cars in NYC — and You Can’t Mute Them
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Get ready for your future Uber and Lyft rides to have a lot more chatter.
That’s because the two ride-hailing companies are planning to add video advertising screens that cannot be muted to thousands of its drivers’ cars, The New York Post reports.
The screens, somewhat similar to the ones in New York’s yellow taxis, will be able to be turned down and become near dark, but not completely muted or turned off. “We may add an off button in the future, depending on how users respond,” James Bellefeuille, founder of the ad company providing the screens, said to the Post.
Advertising company Vugo has a contract to provide about 3,500 black car drivers in New York City with the screens. Drivers for the ride-share companies will earn extra money from the ad screens — totaling about $100-$200 of extra income.
Bellefeuille told the Post Vugo’s screens will allow passengers to curate their own content by choosing from channels featuring music videos, comedy or sports.
Previously, the Taxi and Limousine Commission prohibited video ad screens in cars that were not medallion taxis or street hail liveries. In 2015, Vugo sued New York City to change the law, and in February, a judge ruled in favor of Vugo adding its screens to Ubers and Lyfts throughout the city.
TPG reached out to Uber, Lyft and Vugo but did not immediately hear back.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.