This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Get ready for your future Uber and Lyft rides to have a lot more chatter.
That’s because the two ride-hailing companies are planning to add video advertising screens that cannot be muted to thousands of its drivers’ cars, The New York Post reports.
The screens, somewhat similar to the ones in New York’s yellow taxis, will be able to be turned down and become near dark, but not completely muted or turned off. “We may add an off button in the future, depending on how users respond,” James Bellefeuille, founder of the ad company providing the screens, said to the Post.
Advertising company Vugo has a contract to provide about 3,500 black car drivers in New York City with the screens. Drivers for the ride-share companies will earn extra money from the ad screens — totaling about $100-$200 of extra income.
Bellefeuille told the Post Vugo’s screens will allow passengers to curate their own content by choosing from channels featuring music videos, comedy or sports.
Previously, the Taxi and Limousine Commission prohibited video ad screens in cars that were not medallion taxis or street hail liveries. In 2015, Vugo sued New York City to change the law, and in February, a judge ruled in favor of Vugo adding its screens to Ubers and Lyfts throughout the city.
TPG reached out to Uber, Lyft and Vugo but did not immediately hear back.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards