Video Ads Are Coming to Some Uber and Lyft Cars in NYC — and You Can’t Mute Them
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Get ready for your future Uber and Lyft rides to have a lot more chatter.
That’s because the two ride-hailing companies are planning to add video advertising screens that cannot be muted to thousands of its drivers’ cars, The New York Post reports.
The screens, somewhat similar to the ones in New York’s yellow taxis, will be able to be turned down and become near dark, but not completely muted or turned off. “We may add an off button in the future, depending on how users respond,” James Bellefeuille, founder of the ad company providing the screens, said to the Post.
Advertising company Vugo has a contract to provide about 3,500 black car drivers in New York City with the screens. Drivers for the ride-share companies will earn extra money from the ad screens — totaling about $100-$200 of extra income.
Bellefeuille told the Post Vugo’s screens will allow passengers to curate their own content by choosing from channels featuring music videos, comedy or sports.
Previously, the Taxi and Limousine Commission prohibited video ad screens in cars that were not medallion taxis or street hail liveries. In 2015, Vugo sued New York City to change the law, and in February, a judge ruled in favor of Vugo adding its screens to Ubers and Lyfts throughout the city.
TPG reached out to Uber, Lyft and Vugo but did not immediately hear back.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees