Video Ads Are Coming to Some Uber and Lyft Cars in NYC — and You Can’t Mute Them
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Get ready for your future Uber and Lyft rides to have a lot more chatter.
That’s because the two ride-hailing companies are planning to add video advertising screens that cannot be muted to thousands of its drivers’ cars, The New York Post reports.
The screens, somewhat similar to the ones in New York’s yellow taxis, will be able to be turned down and become near dark, but not completely muted or turned off. “We may add an off button in the future, depending on how users respond,” James Bellefeuille, founder of the ad company providing the screens, said to the Post.
Advertising company Vugo has a contract to provide about 3,500 black car drivers in New York City with the screens. Drivers for the ride-share companies will earn extra money from the ad screens — totaling about $100-$200 of extra income.
Bellefeuille told the Post Vugo’s screens will allow passengers to curate their own content by choosing from channels featuring music videos, comedy or sports.
Previously, the Taxi and Limousine Commission prohibited video ad screens in cars that were not medallion taxis or street hail liveries. In 2015, Vugo sued New York City to change the law, and in February, a judge ruled in favor of Vugo adding its screens to Ubers and Lyfts throughout the city.
TPG reached out to Uber, Lyft and Vugo but did not immediately hear back.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.