United Flies Elderly, Partially Blind Woman to Wrong Destination
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A woman ended up on the wrong side of the country after boarding the incorrect flight on Tuesday.
Maria Larios boarded a United flight that took her to Denver (DEN) instead of her destination of Raleigh-Durham (RDU), where her family was waiting for her.
Larios, 80, was traveling from El Salvador to Raleigh-Durham but had a layover in Houston (IAH). Larios’ family had arranged special assistance for her travels because she is older, partly blind and doesn’t speak English.
When connecting in Houston, she mistakenly boarded a United flight that was bound for Denver (DEN). It’s a mystery as to how she was able to board that flight with a boarding pass for another destination.
“How is it possible that a woman got on a plane that she did not have a boarding pass for and is now in another state?” Larios’ daughter-in-law Mikki Paradis told WRAL.
Paradis said Larios was actually given a boarding pass for the Denver-bound flight, and someone else ended up with the ticket to Raleigh-Durham.
“She cannot read or write even in her own language,” Paradis said. “She can’t speak English at all. So when you hand her a boarding pass, she’s trusting that it’s the right boarding pass.”
Paradis was upset with United’s nonchalant attitude when handling the situation.
“You lost a person, and the whole time they were treating me like they lost my luggage,” Paradis said.
Larios was put on a flight from Denver to Raleigh around midnight, and United issued her a refund and travel voucher for the inconvenience.
A United spokesperson issued the following statement to TPG:
We deeply apologize to Ms. Larios and to her family for this experience. When she arrived in Denver, she was placed on the next flight to Raleigh, and we issued a refund and a travel certificate. Our customer care team is in contact with her family to ensure we make this right. We are also investigating this incident internally to better understand what happened so that we can prevent this from happening again.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees