United Diverts Plane After Dog Mistakenly Loaded Onto the Wrong Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For the third time in less than a week, United is making headlines for mishandling a dog. On Tuesday, TPG broke the tragic story of the death of a dog placed in the overhead bin on a United flight. Then, United misdirected a family’s dog bound for Kansas City, who ended up in Japan instead. United later chartered a flight to reunite the dog with its owners.
Now, it’s been revealed that on Thursday, United diverted a flight after realizing a dog had mistakenly been loaded on the wrong plane. TPG reader Michael Jones was traveling back from Fort Myers (RSW) to Akron, OH (CAK) with his parents Bryan and Karen when their pet Dudley was loaded onto the wrong connecting flight in Newark (EWR).
Instead of being loaded onto their United regional carrier ExpressJet flight 4091 from Newark to Akron, United loaded Dudley onto ExpressJet flight 3996 from Newark to St. Louis (STL). United told the Jones family that the mistake occurred because of a change of gate — although Michael notes that this change happened hours before departure.
The error was discovered in the air. Just over Columbus, OH, the flight made a sweeping turn to divert to Akron-Canton Regional Airport (CAK) to drop off the pet at its proper destination.
After dropping off the pet, the 50-seat Embraer ERJ-145XR (registration N17159) continued to St. Louis (STL). The flight was originally scheduled to arrive at 4:45pm, and ended up landing at the destination airport at 6:56pm.
According to a statement from United to TPG, the dog was “safely delivered to its owner.“ All passengers on the diverted flight were provided compensation for the delay, although the airline declined to share the amount.
United has told the Jones family that the $348 cost for checking Dudley one-way from Fort Myers to Akron would be refunded. However, the fee hadn’t been refunded as of Saturday morning.
This article was updated after publishing to include information from the Jones family, who provided TPG proof that it was their dog, Dudley, who was mishandled.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees