United Flight Hits Flock of Birds and Is Forced to Turn Around
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A United Airlines flight from Tampa (TPA) to San Francisco (SFO) had to turn around after hitting several birds mid-flight.
Passengers aboard United Flight 2051 reported hearing “several thumps” as the A320 aircraft — registration N453UA — collided with a flock of birds shortly after takeoff. The flight path shows the plane took off at 8:00am, circled just outside the Tampa area for three hours until the aircraft was light enough to land. It then landed back at TPA at 11:00am.
Reports say several birds were recovered from the runway after the plane landed back at TPA.
United #UA2051 to San Francisco returned to Tampa after striking several birds departing rwy 1L; ‘heard several thumps’. Possible damaged pitot tube(s). Burned fuel for more than 3 hrs to reduce landing weight.
Multiple birds recovered from rwy.
— Tom Podolec (@TomPodolec) March 15, 2018
The Federal Aviation Administration estimates about 11,000 bird strikes happen per year at US airports.
Featured image by Robert Alexander / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.