In what seems to be the first pedestrian fatality by a self-driving car, a woman in Tempe, Arizona, died after being hit by an Uber self-driving car.
Uber is pausing all of its self-driving car tests after the fatal incident, Bloomberg News reports. The ride-sharing company was testing autonomous vehicles in San Francisco, Phoenix, Pittsburgh and Toronto.
The incident occurred around 10pm on Sunday when 49-year-old Elaine Herzberg crossed the street outside of the crosswalk near the intersection of Curry Road and Mill Avenue, a Tempe Police spokeswoman told TPG in an email. Herzberg was later taken to a nearby hospital, where she died from her injuries.
The autonomous Uber vehicle was in self-driving mode but had a human driver monitoring it behind the wheel when the collision occurred.
Uber said it would be assisting in the investigation of the incident.
Our hearts go out to the victim’s family. We’re fully cooperating with @TempePolice and local authorities as they investigate this incident.
— Uber Comms (@Uber_Comms) March 19, 2018
Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi had predicted earlier this year that the company’s self-driving vehicles would be on the road within 18 months.
Although this seems to be the first pedestrian death caused by an autonomous vehicle, this is not the first fatality involving a self-driving car. In 2016, the driver of a Tesla Model S electric sedan was killed while the car was in self-driving mode.
*Update 3/19/18 at 2pm: This post has been updated to include the victim’s name and the time and exact location of the accident.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that