This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The United Kingdom and Ireland are facing fierce weather conditions brought on by storm Emma, which has now combined with strong winds from Siberia and has been dubbed the “Beast from the East”. Airports in Glasgow and Edinburgh were closed yesterday but have since reopened.
Ireland is expected to get its heaviest snowfall in decades, the BBC reports, and more than 55 have died across Europe due to the severity of the storm.
Dublin Airport (DUB) has completely closed until Saturday, and Cork (ORK) and Kerry (KIR) airports are seeing major disruptions, with Ryanair and Aer Lingus cancelling all flights to and from the airport.
Dublin is still under a Status Red weather warning, and crews at the airport captured video showing the extent of the storm.
Passengers are advised to check with their airline before flying to ensure their flight is still scheduled to depart. A tweet from Dublin airport said it is planning to resume services early Saturday morning.
More video shows airport crews hauling snow in large trucks to clear the airport’s taxiways and runways.
American rapper and actor Fredro Starr was among those trapped in Dublin after his flight was diverted to Shannon (SNN) due to the weather.
Other airports across Europe were experiencing disruptions, including Geneva (GVA), which shut down on Thursday and Amsterdam’s Schiphol (AMS).
Featured image by Artur Widak/NurPhoto/Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards