This Is What a ‘Red Alert’ for Heavy Snow at an Airport Looks Like
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The United Kingdom and Ireland are facing fierce weather conditions brought on by storm Emma, which has now combined with strong winds from Siberia and has been dubbed the “Beast from the East”. Airports in Glasgow and Edinburgh were closed yesterday but have since reopened.
Ireland is expected to get its heaviest snowfall in decades, the BBC reports, and more than 55 have died across Europe due to the severity of the storm.
Dublin Airport (DUB) has completely closed until Saturday, and Cork (ORK) and Kerry (KIR) airports are seeing major disruptions, with Ryanair and Aer Lingus cancelling all flights to and from the airport.
Dublin is still under a Status Red weather warning, and crews at the airport captured video showing the extent of the storm.
Passengers are advised to check with their airline before flying to ensure their flight is still scheduled to depart. A tweet from Dublin airport said it is planning to resume services early Saturday morning.
More video shows airport crews hauling snow in large trucks to clear the airport’s taxiways and runways.
American rapper and actor Fredro Starr was among those trapped in Dublin after his flight was diverted to Shannon (SNN) due to the weather.
Other airports across Europe were experiencing disruptions, including Geneva (GVA), which shut down on Thursday and Amsterdam’s Schiphol (AMS).
Featured image by Artur Widak/NurPhoto/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.