This Is What a ‘Red Alert’ for Heavy Snow at an Airport Looks Like
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The United Kingdom and Ireland are facing fierce weather conditions brought on by storm Emma, which has now combined with strong winds from Siberia and has been dubbed the “Beast from the East”. Airports in Glasgow and Edinburgh were closed yesterday but have since reopened.
Ireland is expected to get its heaviest snowfall in decades, the BBC reports, and more than 55 have died across Europe due to the severity of the storm.
Dublin Airport (DUB) has completely closed until Saturday, and Cork (ORK) and Kerry (KIR) airports are seeing major disruptions, with Ryanair and Aer Lingus cancelling all flights to and from the airport.
Dublin is still under a Status Red weather warning, and crews at the airport captured video showing the extent of the storm.
Passengers are advised to check with their airline before flying to ensure their flight is still scheduled to depart. A tweet from Dublin airport said it is planning to resume services early Saturday morning.
More video shows airport crews hauling snow in large trucks to clear the airport’s taxiways and runways.
American rapper and actor Fredro Starr was among those trapped in Dublin after his flight was diverted to Shannon (SNN) due to the weather.
Other airports across Europe were experiencing disruptions, including Geneva (GVA), which shut down on Thursday and Amsterdam’s Schiphol (AMS).
Featured image by Artur Widak/NurPhoto/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.