This Is What a ‘Red Alert’ for Heavy Snow at an Airport Looks Like
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The United Kingdom and Ireland are facing fierce weather conditions brought on by storm Emma, which has now combined with strong winds from Siberia and has been dubbed the “Beast from the East”. Airports in Glasgow and Edinburgh were closed yesterday but have since reopened.
Ireland is expected to get its heaviest snowfall in decades, the BBC reports, and more than 55 have died across Europe due to the severity of the storm.
Dublin Airport (DUB) has completely closed until Saturday, and Cork (ORK) and Kerry (KIR) airports are seeing major disruptions, with Ryanair and Aer Lingus cancelling all flights to and from the airport.
Dublin is still under a Status Red weather warning, and crews at the airport captured video showing the extent of the storm.
Passengers are advised to check with their airline before flying to ensure their flight is still scheduled to depart. A tweet from Dublin airport said it is planning to resume services early Saturday morning.
More video shows airport crews hauling snow in large trucks to clear the airport’s taxiways and runways.
American rapper and actor Fredro Starr was among those trapped in Dublin after his flight was diverted to Shannon (SNN) due to the weather.
Other airports across Europe were experiencing disruptions, including Geneva (GVA), which shut down on Thursday and Amsterdam’s Schiphol (AMS).
Featured image by Artur Widak/NurPhoto/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees