These Are the Top 10 Most Expensive Cities in the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
According to this year’s Worldwide Cost of Living Survey, Europe and Asia-Pacific cities topped the ranks of the most expensive places to live in the world. For the fifth consecutive year, Singapore holds the title as the most expensive city— followed by Paris, Zurich and Hong Kong.
The annual report from Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) compares the prices of more than 150 products and services— like the cost of food, drinks, clothing, household supplies and personal care items, home rents, transport, utility bills, domestic help and recreational costs— across 133 cities worldwide. The survey is used to help human resources and finance managers build compensation packages for expatriates and travelers and calculate cost-of-living.
The report noted that Asian cities tend to be the most expensive location for general grocery shopping, while European cities tend to be priciest in the household, personal care, recreation and entertainment categories. Singapore holds the top spot because it’s considerably pricey to buy clothes and own a car in the city-state. However, it still offers a relative value in personal care, household goods and domestic help compared to its regional peers.
Notably, no US cities were featured in the top 10, largely because of the weakening dollar. According to EIU, currency fluctuations continue to be a major cause for changes in the rankings. In fact, there was a fall in cost-of-living for all 16 of the American cities surveyed (except Boston) with New York and Los Angeles dropping from ninth and 11th in 2017 ranking to numbers 13th and 14th this year, respectively.
10 most expensive cities in the world:
2. Paris, France
3. Zürich, Switzerland
4. Hong Kong
5. Oslo, Norway
6. Geneva, Switzerland
7. Seoul, South Korea
8. Copenhagen, Denmark
9. Tel Aviv, Israel
10. Sydney, Australia
Although Asia has some of the world’s most expensive places to live, it is also home to some of the world’s most affordable destinations — such as Bangalore, Chennai, and New Delhi— which all provided good values, the report noted. Those cities were joined by Caracas, Damascus, Almaty, Lagos, Algiers, Karachi and Bucharest on the cheaper end of the spectrum.
Featured photo by Peter Nguyen via Unsplash
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees