Target Is Testing a New Loyalty Program
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Target is testing out a new loyalty program, Target Red, which would offer customers cash back and discounts on delivery.
As part of the program, Target Red members would receive 1% cash back on purchases that they can redeem on their next visit, free next-day delivery with Target Restock and half off a Shipt grocery delivery membership. Currently the program is only being tested in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, and it is an entirely different program than Target REDcard, which offers customers a Target debit or credit card.
Target REDcard members can sign up for Target Red, but they will not be able to stack the 5% REDcard discount with the loyalty program’s 1% cash back.
Still, Target Red members would save $4.99 in shipping on every Target Restock order. Restock is one of the retailer’s online shopping platforms that lets customers fill up a box of everyday household necessities and ship it at a flat rate.
Members of the new program would also save about $50 per year on a membership for Shipt, which Target acquired in December 2017 for $550 million. Shipt delivers groceries from several different stores (including Target). The service usually runs $99 per year, and Target Red members get 50% off the subscription fee.
The test run of the new program comes at a time when many retailers are trying to compete with Amazon’s online grocery service and Prime’s two-day shipping policy, and as brick-and-mortar stores are trying to increase the number of customers walking through the door.
This isn’t Target’s first crack at a loyalty program. In 2016, the retail chain tested its Cartwheel Perks program, which converted customers’ purchases into points that could be redeemed on other specific items. The program was seen as too complicated, and Target scrapped it.
As an added perk, members of the loyalty program will also be able to vote for which local organizations receive charitable donations from Target.
H/T: Tech Crunch
Featured image by George Frey/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees