Shanghai Airlines Announces New Boeing 787-9
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The airline, which is a subsidiary of parent company China Eastern Airlines Group, released images of the Boeing 787-9’s interior that showcased some fairly unique design traits, including a first-class section that isn’t partitioned apart from business class.
According to the Weibo announcement, “the new aircraft offers larger, wider passenger cabins, better lighting, the largest windows available on commercial aircraft, larger overhead luggage bin space and better seat selections.”
The March 2 WeChat update revealed that the new plane features 285 seats in a four-cabin layout and will take its inaugural flight in June. A large portion of the update focused on the new 787-9’s registration number: B-1111.
While cabin configurations, first flight route and time and other information has not yet been formally released by Shanghai Airlines, One Mile at a Time reports that the aircraft configuration will split the 285 seats between four first-class seats, 26 business-class seats, 28 premium economy seats and 227 economy seats. Also according to a One Mile at a Time reader, the B-1111 will initially operate domestic routes but eventually travel to Japan, Korea and Southeast Asia from a Shanghai base.
Shanghai Airlines spent a significant portion of the announcement focusing on the “lucky” qualities of the special B-1111 number – “four ones in a row for a milestone aircraft.” This acquisition is the first 787-9 for the China Eastern Airlines Group as a whole, as well as the 100th plane in the Shanghai Airlines fleet.
The WeChat announcement further offered one lucky fan the chance to win a VIP invitation to attend the christening ceremonies for B-1111. The winner will be chosen from commenters who share their own interpretation of the significance of the plane’s “1111” registration number.
All images courtesy of Shanghai Airlines
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.