Ivanka’s Engine Failure, United Suspends Pet Travel, Crew Member Attempts to Smuggle Cocaine at JFK and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you might have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you might have missed this week.
A helicopter was shuttling Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner from Washington, DC, to New York City when one of its engines failed and forced the couple to divert to Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA).
United said it’s temporarily suspending pet travel in its cargo holds after it experienced a rough week for pets flying on the airline.
A Fly Jamaica crew member was arrested at JFK Airport after attempting to smuggle nine pounds of cocaine strapped to his legs through customs.
Check out OpenTable’s list of the 100 Best Restaurants in America for a Big Night Out.
Check out TripAdvisor’s list of most-booked travel tours.
In a rare and unusual project, luxury cruise liner Silversea Cruises is lengthening its former flagship, Silver Spirit, by cutting it in half and adding a 49-foot expansion.
Find out how one lucky United passenger got a $10,000 voucher.
In other news…
Here’s how to take a free Lyft to March for Our Lives rallies
Lyft’s co-founders are offering free rides to the March for Our Lives rally in Washington, DC, this weekend.
Ryanair Buys Niki Lauda Airline in Rare Foray Into Dealmaking
This is only the second acquisition in Ryanair’s history after it agreed to buy an Austrian airline from former Formula One motor-racing champion Niki Lauda.
Alaska Airlines Is Eliminating Snack Boxes In Premium Class
This week, Alaska Airlines announced it is no longer offering snack boxes in Premium Class. Passengers will be given the option of two packaged snacks, however.
Featured image by AP/Pablo Martinez Monsivais
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees