Ivanka’s Engine Failure, United Suspends Pet Travel, Crew Member Attempts to Smuggle Cocaine at JFK and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you might have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you might have missed this week.
A helicopter was shuttling Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner from Washington, DC, to New York City when one of its engines failed and forced the couple to divert to Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA).
United said it’s temporarily suspending pet travel in its cargo holds after it experienced a rough week for pets flying on the airline.
A Fly Jamaica crew member was arrested at JFK Airport after attempting to smuggle nine pounds of cocaine strapped to his legs through customs.
Check out OpenTable’s list of the 100 Best Restaurants in America for a Big Night Out.
Check out TripAdvisor’s list of most-booked travel tours.
In a rare and unusual project, luxury cruise liner Silversea Cruises is lengthening its former flagship, Silver Spirit, by cutting it in half and adding a 49-foot expansion.
Find out how one lucky United passenger got a $10,000 voucher.
In other news…
Here’s how to take a free Lyft to March for Our Lives rallies
Lyft’s co-founders are offering free rides to the March for Our Lives rally in Washington, DC, this weekend.
Ryanair Buys Niki Lauda Airline in Rare Foray Into Dealmaking
This is only the second acquisition in Ryanair’s history after it agreed to buy an Austrian airline from former Formula One motor-racing champion Niki Lauda.
Alaska Airlines Is Eliminating Snack Boxes In Premium Class
This week, Alaska Airlines announced it is no longer offering snack boxes in Premium Class. Passengers will be given the option of two packaged snacks, however.
Featured image by AP/Pablo Martinez Monsivais
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.