The Best and Worst US Airlines, TPG Gives Away 500,000 Points, United Bonus Lottery and More
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you might have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you might have missed this week.
It’s still the beginning of the new year, so now is the perfect time to know the best and worst airline for the year. This week, TPG released a comprehensive study of every aspect of the most popular US airlines, from price and convenience to headaches, lounges and miles, and determined the best US airlines in the industry.
This past week, Brian Kelly celebrated his birthday with a giveaway of 500,000 points and other prizes to TPG readers who donate money to Rainbow Railroad, a charitable organization that helps LGBT individuals seek asylum from violence.
United Airlines employees were very unhappy that their bonuses have been replaced by a lottery. Here’s what they’re saying in an internal, staff-only forum. See what United internal staff had to say about the company’s changes.
A flight from Minneapolis to New York turned into a nightmare for passengers due to diversions caused by last week’s nor’easter.
Thursday saw the introduction of SEEN, a new app and social travel network that helps you find the best places to eat, sleep, shop and play wherever you are. TPG is already very active on SEEN, so you can follow him for one of his many tips for places around the world (full disclosure: Brian is an investor in SEEN. “It’s the app I wish I always had,” he says). Sign up here and enter the code “The Points Guy” to gain access.
Emirates is hiring new members to join its cabin crew and the job perks are pretty good. Check out what it takes to be a flight attendant for the Dubai-based airline.
This week, Boeing rolled out its 10,000th 737 aircraft— a major milestone for the airplane manufacturer. The lucky 10,000th plane was an A 737 MAX 8 destined for Southwest.
The US Embassy in Mexico has closed its consular agency in the popular resort area of Playa Del Carmen over an unspecified “security threat.”
The Honolulu-based carrier, Hawaiian Airlines, confirmed that it intends to purchase 10 of the 789 aircraft— allowing the airline to upgrade and modernize its fleet.
In other news…
If you’re planning a cruise vacation before summer, American Express has an offer for you: Get 10,000 points when you spend $500 or more to purchase a cruise with Norwegian Cruise Lines. But, you might want to jump on it now because it’s only available through May 10, 2018. (H/T: Frequent Miler)
Cheddar, the leading post-cable network, will now air on Reachme TV’s expansive network of 85 airports, 5,000 hotels and more than 100 million viewers monthly.
Featured image by MCKIBILO.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.