The Best and Worst US Airlines, TPG Gives Away 500,000 Points, United Bonus Lottery and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you might have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you might have missed this week.
It’s still the beginning of the new year, so now is the perfect time to know the best and worst airline for the year. This week, TPG released a comprehensive study of every aspect of the most popular US airlines, from price and convenience to headaches, lounges and miles, and determined the best US airlines in the industry.
This past week, Brian Kelly celebrated his birthday with a giveaway of 500,000 points and other prizes to TPG readers who donate money to Rainbow Railroad, a charitable organization that helps LGBT individuals seek asylum from violence.
United Airlines employees were very unhappy that their bonuses have been replaced by a lottery. Here’s what they’re saying in an internal, staff-only forum. See what United internal staff had to say about the company’s changes.
A flight from Minneapolis to New York turned into a nightmare for passengers due to diversions caused by last week’s nor’easter.
Thursday saw the introduction of SEEN, a new app and social travel network that helps you find the best places to eat, sleep, shop and play wherever you are. TPG is already very active on SEEN, so you can follow him for one of his many tips for places around the world (full disclosure: Brian is an investor in SEEN. “It’s the app I wish I always had,” he says). Sign up here and enter the code “The Points Guy” to gain access.
Emirates is hiring new members to join its cabin crew and the job perks are pretty good. Check out what it takes to be a flight attendant for the Dubai-based airline.
This week, Boeing rolled out its 10,000th 737 aircraft— a major milestone for the airplane manufacturer. The lucky 10,000th plane was an A 737 MAX 8 destined for Southwest.
The US Embassy in Mexico has closed its consular agency in the popular resort area of Playa Del Carmen over an unspecified “security threat.”
The Honolulu-based carrier, Hawaiian Airlines, confirmed that it intends to purchase 10 of the 789 aircraft— allowing the airline to upgrade and modernize its fleet.
In other news…
If you’re planning a cruise vacation before summer, American Express has an offer for you: Get 10,000 points when you spend $500 or more to purchase a cruise with Norwegian Cruise Lines. But, you might want to jump on it now because it’s only available through May 10, 2018. (H/T: Frequent Miler)
Cheddar, the leading post-cable network, will now air on Reachme TV’s expansive network of 85 airports, 5,000 hotels and more than 100 million viewers monthly.
Featured image by MCKIBILO.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees