TPG Readers Offer Their Own Choices for Best Airlines in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On the heels of our annual comprehensive report ranking the Best and Worst US Airlines in 2018 using objective data gleamed from dozens of different sources, last week we asked TPG readers to chime in with their own thoughts on the best domestic airline. After several thousand votes, we’ve tabulated the results and not unexpectedly, there’s some agreement but also some debate…
While our study placed Alaska Airlines at the top for the second year in a row, our readers went in a different direction, selecting Delta as their number one US airline. That isn’t drastically different from Delta’s third place finish in our study, but TPG readers aren’t as fond of Alaska, dropping the carrier all the way to sixth in the poll.
On the other hand, Southwest finished in second place in both our report and our reader poll, demonstrating that it’s both a fan favorite and a strong performer in our data-driven study. And while not nearly as impressive, United was another airline with similar results both in reader opinion and our objective study, finishing #4 in our report and #5 in the survey.
Two other airlines were significantly more popular among TPG readers than they were when it came to the numbers. American came in a surprising third in our poll, even though it ranked sixth in our study. And JetBlue, which ended up mired at #8 in our report, was a strong #4 with our readers.
Toward the bottom of the rankings, Hawaiian and Spirit finished in the bottom three in both our study and our reader poll, indicating that both airlines have some work to do when it comes to performance and perception. And finally, the low-cost carrier Frontier — which was in the middle of the pack in our study — isn’t a popular choice with flyers, finishing dead last when it comes to TPG readers.
Although our poll is complete for this year, we’re always interested to hear why you personally like or dislike a particular airline. So feel free to share your opinion in the comments below, and thanks to all of you who participated in this year’s survey.
Featured illustration by MCKIBILLO.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees