Plane Loses $368 Million in Gold During Takeoff
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
St. Patrick’s Day came a little early at an airport in Russia. On Thursday morning, an airplane carrying $368 million in gold and other precious metals fell out of the cargo hatch of an AN-12 shortly after taking off from Yakutsk, Russia.
According to Russian news outlets, a damaged door handle is to blame for the loss of the precious metals. The cargo plane, operated by Air Nimbus, continued to drop more gold as it increased its altitude — gold was found as far as 16 miles away from the airport. The pilots decided to land the plane in nearby Magan, northwest of Yakutsk.
Authorities recovered 172 gold bars, or three tons of gold, from the runway; the plane was carrying over nine tons of precious metals in total.
It’s -21C in Yakutia, sunny, we expect showers of diamond, platinum and gold… Plane loses its $368 million cargo; gems and precious metals rain over Russia’s coldest region as police and secret services stage emergency search https://t.co/NsUeOWxZf5 pic.twitter.com/8OXd6Al9is
— The Siberian Times (@siberian_times) March 15, 2018
Reports claim the cargo belonged to Chukota Mining and Geological company, 75% of which is owned by Canadian Kinross Gold.
There were no injuries after the cargo hatch failed, but The Siberian Times reports that the technical engineers who loaded the cargo at Yakutsk Airport (YKS) have been detained.
Featured photo by Chris Clor/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.