Passenger Severely Burned After Phone Explodes on Plane
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A passenger on an Air Canada flight received severe burns after her cell phone exploded before takeoff. The passenger, who was on an Air Canada flight from Toronto bound for Vancouver, was treated by a team of paramedics who boarded the flight after the explosion. Flight AC101 was delayed more than two hours waiting for firefighters to clear the plane for takeoff. The passenger was taken to a nearby hospital for further treatment.
There were 266 passengers on board when the incident occurred at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport (YYZ) Thursday at 7 a.m. According to the Daily Mail, passengers reported that the cabin filled with black smoke as the crew scrambled to extinguish the fire. One passenger told CTV News that when he turned around to look behind him, he saw a small fire, and his first thoughts were, “I have to get off this plane.”
The small fire caused no damage to the aircraft. After emergency responders deplaned with the injured passenger, the plane took off for its Vancouver destination. It’s unclear what type of phone caught fire or the injured woman’s current status.
H/T: Daily Mail
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees