Passenger Severely Burned After Phone Explodes on Plane
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A passenger on an Air Canada flight received severe burns after her cell phone exploded before takeoff. The passenger, who was on an Air Canada flight from Toronto bound for Vancouver, was treated by a team of paramedics who boarded the flight after the explosion. Flight AC101 was delayed more than two hours waiting for firefighters to clear the plane for takeoff. The passenger was taken to a nearby hospital for further treatment.
There were 266 passengers on board when the incident occurred at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport (YYZ) Thursday at 7 a.m. According to the Daily Mail, passengers reported that the cabin filled with black smoke as the crew scrambled to extinguish the fire. One passenger told CTV News that when he turned around to look behind him, he saw a small fire, and his first thoughts were, “I have to get off this plane.”
The small fire caused no damage to the aircraft. After emergency responders deplaned with the injured passenger, the plane took off for its Vancouver destination. It’s unclear what type of phone caught fire or the injured woman’s current status.
H/T: Daily Mail
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.