This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A passenger on an Air Canada flight received severe burns after her cell phone exploded before takeoff. The passenger, who was on an Air Canada flight from Toronto bound for Vancouver, was treated by a team of paramedics who boarded the flight after the explosion. Flight AC101 was delayed more than two hours waiting for firefighters to clear the plane for takeoff. The passenger was taken to a nearby hospital for further treatment.
There were 266 passengers on board when the incident occurred at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport (YYZ) Thursday at 7 a.m. According to the Daily Mail, passengers reported that the cabin filled with black smoke as the crew scrambled to extinguish the fire. One passenger told CTV News that when he turned around to look behind him, he saw a small fire, and his first thoughts were, “I have to get off this plane.”
The small fire caused no damage to the aircraft. After emergency responders deplaned with the injured passenger, the plane took off for its Vancouver destination. It’s unclear what type of phone caught fire or the injured woman’s current status.
H/T: Daily Mail
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees