Passenger Screams ‘I Am God’ While Trying to Open Aircraft Door Mid-Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An unruly passenger was detained after trying to open an aircraft door on her flight Monday.
The incident occurred on SkyWest Airlines Flight 5449, which was flying from San Francisco (SFO) to Boise (BOI). The United Express-operated flight took off at 8:46 a.m., but soon after, passengers noticed something strange was going on.
Scott T. Smith was seated behind the woman when her seat started to shake.
“She wasn’t acting right, or normal, from the very beginning [of the flight],” Smith told the Idaho Statesman. Smith and the woman and her travel companion were seated in first class, which is laid out in 1-2 configuration on the Embraer 175.
Smith guessed the woman and her companion were afraid of flying.
Midway through the flight, the woman got up from her seat and ran over to the exit door in an attempt to open it — all the while she repeatedly screamed “I am god. I am god. I am god.”
Other passengers got up from their seats and attempted to restrain the woman, which they eventually were able to do when a man zip-tied her and hands and feet together.
It’s nearly impossible to open an aircraft’s door mid-flight due to cabin pressurization.
“The pilot came on the loudspeaker and told us to ‘stop her at all costs’ from opening up the door,” Danny Torres told KTVB.
Smith said the woman was repeating other phrases like “God has all the data;” “I don’t have any data;” “We landed in Boise 15 minutes ago;” “For three years.”
Smith said both the flight staff and other passengers remained calm throughout the incident. When the plane landed in Boise, police detained the woman at the gate. Boise Police Department Spokeswoman Haley Williams said the woman is now in custody of the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, and none of the 73 passengers were injured.
Skywest released this statement about the incident:
“SkyWest flight 5449, operating as United Express from San Francisco to Boise, landed safely in Boise after reports of a customer attempting to open the aircraft door. The customer was restrained and law enforcement officials met the flight at the gate, where all passengers safely deplaned. The unruly customer was held for questioning by law enforcement.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees