Officials Order Mandatory Evacuation in Southern California Over Mudslide Concerns
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The National Weather Service in Los Angeles, together with Santa Barbara and Ventura County officials, has issued a mandatory evacuation order for potential flood regions for Tuesday, March 20. The preventative order comes in advance of what meteorologists anticipate to be the strongest storm to hit Southern California this season.
The mandatory evacuations will start at noon on Tuesday and last until Thursday at 5pm.
“We have no choice but do to this,” Santa Barbara Sheriff Bill Brown said. “It’s not worth risking lives to avoid evacuation.”
The regions that are being evacuated are scarred with burn damage due to the recent wildfires that ripped through the area. The storm’s flash flooding could cause potential dangerous debris flow from the area’s burn scar. But, even without the recent topographical damage, the intensity of the predicted rainfall would be enough to trigger potential rock falls and mudslides.
“We could experience localized flooding and road closures, which are not isolated to the burn areas. The threat of rock falls, mudslides and debris flow is high,” said Rob Lewin, director of the Santa Barbara County Office of Emergency Management.
Santa Barbara County and the surrounding areas saw mudslides that killed at least 21 people earlier this year. In February, Santa Barbara County was evacuated due to risks of mudslides caused by a severe winter storm.
The incoming storm will sweep in from across the eastern Pacific Ocean and is expected to bring rainfall of up three-quarters of an inch per hour over large areas of southwest California. The rainfall could begin as early as Tuesday afternoon, and continue through late Thursday or early Friday, with five to 10 inches of total rainfall predicted in the foothills and mountains.
Residents of Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties should stay alert for updates on evacuation times and instructions for their respective areas.
Featured image by Genaro Molina/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees