Workers at NYC Airports Will Likely Soon Make $19 per Hour
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Workers at New York City area airports are on the brink of earning one of the highest minimum wages in the country.
Years of demonstrating for higher wages are about to pay off for the 40,000 airport workers as the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the agency that runs the city’s airports, is expected to recommend a wage increase to $19 per hour. Experts predict the proposal will be approved by the agency’s board in June and be put into effect by fall 2023.
Even though all three of the city’s airports, Kennedy International Airport (JFK), LaGuardia International Airport (LGA) and Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) are overseen by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the wages between workers at each respective airport have been unequal for years. The airport workers in New York state (at JFK and LGA) are making $13 per hour (the current minimum wage for large employers in New York), as New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has been gradually raising the state’s minimum wage toward the goal of $15 per hour.
Meanwhile, workers at New Jersey’s EWR are making the Port Authority’s minimum wage of $10.45, which is $2.55 less than pay at LGA and JFK, but is still higher than the state of New Jersey’s minimum wage of $8.60. The new wage agreement would mean an 80% increase in pay for EWR workers.
A minimum wage of goal of $19 would be the highest nationwide, Paul K. Sonn, general counsel at the National Employment Law Project told The New York Times. Higher pay trends started in West Coast airports to reduce instability with staffing, Sonn told the Times. Now, New York City’s airports are catching up.
The Port Authority’s proposal would gradually raise the airport employees’ pay over several years. Starting on September 1, 2018, EWR wages would increase to $12.45. By September 1, 2019, the wages at all three airports would increase to $15.60, and after three more periodic raises, pay would hit $19 in September 2023.
New Jersey Governor Philip Murphy, who has promised to raise the statewide minimum wage to $15, called the airport pay increases a matter of “economic fairness and justice,” the Times reports.
Likewise, New York Governor Cuomo told the Times: “This action is about decency and respect, and by raising the minimum wage for the dedicated men and women who fuel our regional economy, New York will continue to serve as a beacon of progress and opportunity for all.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.