More Doctors Can Now Schedule Lyft Rides for Their Patients
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ride-hailing company Lyft has announced a new partnership with Allscripts to help patients get to their doctors’ appointments.
Allscripts, an electronic medical records company, will integrate Lyft’s technology into its platform so doctors can automatically order rides for their patients.
“When patients’ transportation needs are noted in [their electronic record], an automated workflow would schedule Lyft transportation for that patient. Additionally, tracking boards would provide real-time notifications of patient pickup, ETA and arrival for providers and other members of the care team,” Allscripts said in a press release.
So, when patients are scheduling an appointment, the system will ask them if they need transportation. If they opt in, Allscripts technology will book them a Lyft ride that will get them to the doctor’s office on time — eliminating the need to manually order a car.
Allscripts, whose systems are used in 2,500 hospitals and by 180,000 physicians, says this deal could affect up to 7 million people. Uber also launched a service last week, Uber Health, with a similar focus of getting patients to doctors’ appointments.
Getting to a doctor’s office can be difficult for low-income patients because of cost. Fortunately, the deal also enables healthcare providers to pay for the ride itself. The system will send patients ride details via text message, meaning they won’t need a smartphone to order or track a ride.
Lyft already works with a number of healthcare services, including LogistiCare, which provide transportation to non-emergency medical appointments.
Missed appointments cost US healthcare providers up to $150 billion a year, according to SCI Solutions, so offering free rides can help cut down on that cost. It’s good for both patients, who can easily and affordably get to their appointments, and providers, who won’t be losing money when a patient doesn’t show up.
H/T: USA Today
Featured image by Kelly Sullivan/Getty Images for Lyft
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees