More Measles Found in Newark Airport, Now in Detroit and Memphis
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
More travelers have been exposed to measles in US airports, according to health officials in two states. Two cases of the disease have been confirmed in people who traveled through Newark (EWR), Detroit (DTW) and Memphis (MEM) airports.
A passenger returning from India on March 6, arriving into the Detroit airport, was contagious in the north terminal, where customs and baggage claim are located. Anyone who was in the area between 2:00pm and 5:00pm is at risk of having caught measles. The passenger was hospitalized after returning to the US and is currently recovering.
A child who was traveling from Brussels (BRU) to Newark and onward to Memphis also exposed people in the two airports to the virus on Monday, March 12. New Jersey health officials said the child landed in Terminal B and transferred to Terminal C for his connecting flight to Memphis. He also “may have traveled to other areas of the airport,” the New Jersey Health Department said.
Those in the Newark airport on Monday from 12:45pm to 9:00pm are “most at risk of exposure,” according to officials. USA Today reports that travelers in the Memphis airport in the evening may also have been put at risk of catching the virus. Symptoms may appear as late as April 2.
This is the second report of measles in Newark in 2018; on January 2nd travelers in the New Jersey airport were exposed to measles for 11 hours.
The virus is spread through coughing and sneezing, and can live for “up to two hours in an airspace where the infected person coughed or sneezed.” According to the CDC, measles is so contagious that “if one person has it, 90% of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected.”
The CDC says approximately 90% of children in the US receive measles vaccines — with the immunization being more than 90% effective.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.